LOCOG apologises to India for opening ceremony incidentAugust 1st, 2012 - 3:30 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 1 (IANS) The London Olympics organisers have apologised to the Indian contingent for the opening ceremony incident which saw a Bangalore-based woman parading with the country’s athletes.
The London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) said the woman, identified as Madhura Nagendra of Bangalore, was a cast member of the Danny Boyle-directed ceremony and got access to the Indian Olympics squad with a valid accreditation.
“We extend a sincere apology for the unfortunate incident that occurred during the opening ceremony,” James Macleod, LOCOG head of communications, wrote in response to the letter sent by India’s acting Chef de Mission P.K. Muralidharan Raja.
“A lady joined the India delegation during their entry into the stadium and we have taken this matter very seriously. The athlete’s parade is a huge privilege for those who march and, therefore, it was regretful that this incident occurred,” Macleod said in the reply.
As part of the action against the woman, Macloed said they have revoked her accreditation.
“OUr security teams have explained to us that the lady had a valid accreditation and was, therefore, able to access the tunnel prior to the field of play. We have taken appropriate measure to address the issue and also removed the accreditation from the person concerned.”
- Mystery woman in Indian contingent a cast member, says Coe (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Mystery woman identified, IOA demands investigation - Jul 29, 2012
- London Olympic contingency tickets to go on sale - May 09, 2012
- Paralympic Games: Over 70,000 new tickets go on sale - Aug 27, 2012
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- London 2012 anti-doping laboratory receives seal of approval - Apr 24, 2012
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- Olympic gatecrasher now hogs limelight in virtual world (Olympic diary) - Aug 04, 2012
- London Paralympics Games organisers launch short film - Aug 27, 2010
- Mobile phones, picnics and music banned at London Olympics - Mar 18, 2011
- UK deploys 1,200 additional troops for Olympic security - Jul 25, 2012
- Coe hails Olympic test events a success - May 10, 2012
- London Olympics uniforms unveiled - Nov 23, 2011
- London Olympic tickets unveiled - May 22, 2012
- London Olympics organisers and BOA embroiled in cash row - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: accreditation, apologises, apology, athlete, cast member, chef de mission, contingent, danny boyle, delegation, james macleod, locog, london olympics, muralidharan, nagendra, opening ceremony, organising committee, paralympic games, privilege, security teams, unfortunate incident