Lochte overtakes Phelps for gold in World Swimming ChampionshipsJuly 26th, 2011 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
Shanghai, July 26 (IANS) American Ryan Lochte won the gold in the men’s 200-meter freestyle at the 2011 World Swimming Championships Tuesday, overtaking countryman and Olympic champion Michael Phelps on the final turn.
Lochte touched the wall in one minute, 44.44 seconds followed by Phelps, who clocked 1:44.79, while German Paul Biedermann settled for the bronze.
Lochte, 26, has been second fiddle to Phelps for long but overpowered a high-class field here.
“It’s the most challenging competition (I’ve ever raced),” Lochte was quoted as saying in the Guardian. “I have done all the training I can. There were a couple of bumps in the road but for most of it, I was a straight shot. I think it was my time tonight.”
Phelps had targeted the race to prove that his aura as one of the best swimmers of all
his not lost.
He started strongly leading at both the 50m and 100m marks before Lochte went past Phelps halfway down the third lap.
The pair turned for home within 0.6sec of each other but Lochte succeeded in overtaking him to win by marginal 0.35sec.
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic swimming: French Agnel destroys field for 200-m free gold - Jul 31, 2012
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Phelps and I will still be friends, says Lochte - Jul 29, 2012
- List of American swimmers for London Games - Jul 03, 2012
- Lochte beats Phelps in 400m medley - Jun 26, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps adds another feather - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Sun reaches 200 metres freestyle semis - Jul 29, 2012
- Lochte impressed by Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen at Olympics - Jul 29, 2012
- Michael Phelps wins the gold medal at the FINA Swimming World Championship - Jul 27, 2011
- Phelps wants to have fun at Olympic swansong - Jul 27, 2012
- Phelps retiring at right time: Soviet gymnast Latynina - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: 100m, 50m, biedermann, champion michael, countryman, gold, guardian, meter freestyle, michael phelps, olympic champion, ryan lochte, second fiddle, shanghai, straight shot, swimmers, world swimming championships