Lochte impressed by Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen at OlympicsJuly 29th, 2012 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 29 (IANS) Ryan Lochte, winner of the men’s 400m individual medley, admitted Sunday that China’s Ye Shiwen had been a topic of conversation over the dinner table at the Olympic Games.
Ye won gold in the women’s 400m individual medley, a race in which she also set a new world record. Not only that, but she swam her leg of the breaststoke faster than Michael Phelps had done in the men’s 400 metre final, while her last 50 metres were actually faster than Lochte had swum on his way to gold, reports Xinhua.
“We were talking about that at dinner,” said Lochte about Ye’s swim. “It’s pretty impressive. She’s fast and if she was out there with me, she might be able to beat me too.”
Lochte finished second in his heat of the 200 metres freestyle behind China’s Sun Yang, but said he was not too worried about his performance.
“I didn’t get to bed until 2 a.m. last night and I am really tired, but it was a preliminary swim and I am not too worried,” he said.
- Olympics: Dana Vollmer sets world record in women's 100m butterfly - Jul 30, 2012
- British Olympic chief defends Chinese swimmer Ye - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Chinese swimming team get hero's welcome - Aug 07, 2012
- Sun reaches 200 metres freestyle semis - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- IOC 'sad' at dope suspicion over Chinese swimmer - Jul 31, 2012
- List of American swimmers for London Games - Jul 03, 2012
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps and I will still be friends, says Lochte - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps wins 200m freestyle at US Olympic trials - Jun 28, 2012
- Olympics: Rochte claims first gold in London, Phelps off podium - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012