Liverpool sets up football development centre in PuneJune 8th, 2009 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, June 8 (IANS) English soccer giant Liverpool Monday launched its first Football Development Centre in the country at the Bharati Vidyapeeth University campus here in association with Britain-based football business development company Kickworldwide.
The academy will be named “Abhijit Kadam Football Development Centre”. Abhijit, who died in a car crash, was the son of Patangrao Kadam, the founder of the University.
Students can enroll themselves for the academy’s different football courses, which will be taught in partnership with some leading colleges of Britain. The courses that are on offer are coaching, refereeing, sports science, sports turf technology and football industry management.
Courses in sports science, coaching and refereeing will start from September while the other courses will start from January.
Liverpool coaches will regularly train the students at the academy.
Liverpool commercial director Ian Ayre said: “As a football club we always strive to find important partners and opportunities in a market like India. We have to invest for the long term and in the right areas. As a highly successful football club with great heritage and a historic level of success, this is very much an opportunity to share our experience across all the disciplines of the game, not just the playing side.”
Kickworldwide’s director Steve Bellis said that the academy will develop more professionals for Indian football.
“The football development centre will create a number of football industry professionals for the game in India and will help to build a strong infrastructure for the sport.
“It is heart warming to see one of world’s biggest football clubs adopting such a long term and sincere approach to a developing market. The primary aim of the FDC (Football Development Centre) is to support Indian football development to a level where it can compete with the best in the world,” he added.
- Football federation, Goa plan centre of excellence - May 09, 2012
- Liverpool opens football academy in India - Aug 24, 2011
- TFA tie-up with Sheffield United - Aug 10, 2010
- EPL team Tottenham Hotspur eyes tie-up in India - Jul 23, 2011
- Barcelona to set up football school in India - Oct 19, 2011
- Liverpool unveil Rodgers as new manager - Jun 01, 2012
- Manchester City launches football academy in UAE - Jan 02, 2012
- Three Indian boys earn their ticket to Celtic FC - May 05, 2011
- Liverpool take over battle gets murkier with arrival of mystery bidder - Oct 06, 2010
- Chinese coach to train Myanmar gymnasts - Dec 31, 2011
- Forest minister's son flouts wildlife laws; probe on - Jun 21, 2012
- MLS player conducts football camp - Dec 11, 2011
- Soccer training in Brazil for six Kashmiri boys - Nov 11, 2011
- Kolkata-based Pailan Group likely to take over Indian Arrows - Jun 06, 2011
- India's football talent hunt to start Friday - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: ayre, bellis, bharati vidyapeeth university, business development company, car crash, commercial director, english soccer, football business, football club, football clubs, football development, football industry, important partners, indian football, industry management, industry professionals, management courses, pune, sports science, turf technology