Liverpool season is still very much alive: BenitezApril 9th, 2010 - 5:46 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 9 (ANI): Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has said that his team’s season is still very much alive on two fronts, following their stunning defeat of Benfica.
Liverpool produced an outstanding performance at Anfield on Thursday night to overturn a 2-1 first-leg deficit and power into the Europa League semi-finals with a 4-1 victory over the Portuguese league leaders.
Dirk Kuyt and Lucas, both superb throughout, set up the victory with first-half goals before top scorer Fernando Torres struck twice, The Mirror reports.
With hopes of finishing fourth looking increasingly forlorn, the Europa League is now Liverpool’s best hope of salvaging a disappointing campaign. Benitez is also not giving up on Champions League qualification.
Benitez said: “Hopefully we can play well, score goals, get closer to the top four and get to the final. We will try to win every game. We will try to do it against Fulham on Sunday and try to get close to the top four.
“If we can get to the final and win the final we will be very pleased. We have two targets now and we will try to do both.”
The performance of Lucas was particularly pleasing given the low regard with which the fans hold the Brazilian.
Benitez said: “Lucas was involved in two goals and that is always important for the fans and people watching the game. I am really pleased with him in terms of effort in every game.” (ANI)
- Gerrard becomes the top-scoring Brit player in Europe - Feb 26, 2010
- Atletico Madrid wins Europa league title - May 10, 2012
- Benfica in Champions League quarters after six years - Mar 07, 2012
- Chelsea edge past Burnley to extend lead - Jan 31, 2010
- Gerrard hopeful of Liverpool winning Europa League - Feb 19, 2010
- Knowledge about Spanish players would help: Kuyt - Jul 08, 2010
- Liverpool face Benfica, Atletico face Spanish rivals Valencia - Mar 19, 2010
- Fergie, Benitez criticize Premier League for timing of end-of-season fixtures - May 01, 2010
- Spartak beat Fenerbahce in Champions League playoffs - Aug 22, 2012
- Joining Zenit is another victory in my life: Hulk - Sep 04, 2012
- Anzhi grab narrow win over AZ - Aug 24, 2012
- Fulham manager Hughes backs Man U for treble - Apr 10, 2011
- Atletico the toast of Spanish football after surviving in Anfield - Apr 30, 2010
- Liverpool ask Dalglish to look for Benitez's successor - Jun 04, 2010
- Benitez's six-year-rule with Liverpool ends with a sack - Jun 03, 2010
Tags: anfield, benfica, boss, champions league, dirk kuyt, fernando torres, fulham, league leaders, liverpool, mirror, portuguese league, rafael benitez, regard, score goals, semi finals, stunning defeat, thursday night, top scorer, victory, watching the game