Lithuanian president rejects US ice dancer’s citizenship bidNovember 7th, 2009 - 12:53 am ICT by IANS
Vilnius (Lithuania), Nov 6 (DPA) US ice dancing star Katherine Leigh Copely has lost her bid to gain Lithuanian citizenship and thus her ability to represent Lithuania in next year’s Olympics.
Copley’s application for Lithuanian citizenship was rejected by the Baltic state’s President Dalia Grybauskaite, the president’s press office confirmed Friday.
“President Dalia Grybauskaite has decided to withhold the granting of citizenship under exceptional circumstances to United States of America citizen Katherine Leigh Copely,” an official statement said.
The move dashes the ice dancer’s chances of representing Lithuania in international competitions, including next year’s Vancouver Winter Olympics, with her Lithuanian ice dancing partner Deividas Stagniunas.
The pair are the reigning Lithuanian champions and finished 14th at this year’s Ice Dancing World Championships. But Olympic competition demands that pairs skaters are both from the same country.
Strict rules govern Lithuanian citizenship, with blood ties usually required, but under exceptional circumstances citizenship can be granted by the president to foreign nationals if such action would be of “indisputable merit” and if the individual is “integrated into Lithuanian society” and has developed “permanent links” to the country.
In October, a citizenship commission said that though Copely’s application had the potential to bring merit to Lithuania, she had not exhibited sufficient evidence of integration or developed permanent links to the country.
President Grybauskaite could have overruled that decision but instead backed it, saying citizenship constituted “a permanent relationship between the individual and the state”.
- Athlete barred from Olympics after marrying foreigner - Apr 05, 2012
- Lithuania harboured secret CIA prison to interrogate Qaeda terrorists: Report - Nov 20, 2009
- Hasina seventh top world woman leader - Aug 11, 2011
- EU agrees climate change funding offer - Oct 30, 2009
- Olympics: Lithuania bags historic gold in swimming - Jul 31, 2012
- UAE, Lithuania to tighten economic ties - May 08, 2012
- Lithuania hosted secret CIA prison: Report - Aug 21, 2009
- Winslet, DiCaprio 'most romantic onscreen couple in cinema history' - Mar 23, 2011
- Woman linked to Moscow twin blasts detained - Apr 18, 2010
- Lithuanian Mrs. Universe Pageant Organizer Sued By Miss Universe Organization L.P. - Aug 25, 2010
- Sam Burgess and Stephanie Rice are 'Twitter mates' - Aug 14, 2010
- Lithuania orders probe into CIA-run secret prison for al-Qaeda suspects - Dec 23, 2009
- Birju Maharaj to choreograph Kathak for Kamal Haasan - Dec 11, 2011
- Maken retreats; AITA, Bhupathi back to square one (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Lithuania threatens to block EU climate-change program - Oct 10, 2008
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,