Lippi takes full responsibility for Italy’s ignominious World Cup exitJune 25th, 2010 - 2:50 pm ICT by ANI
Cape Town, June 25(ANI): Italy coach Marcello Lippi has taken full responsibility for his team’s humiliating World Cup group stage exit.
The defending champions lost 2-3 to World Cup debutants Slovakia, who qualified for the last 16 with Paraguay.
“I take all responsibility. I haven’t prepared this team well enough,” The Telegraph quoted Lippi, as saying.
“There are no excuses because when a team comes to a match as important as tonight’s with terror in their legs, their heads and their hearts, and don’t manage to express themselves, it means that the coach hasn’t prepared them in the right way.”
“I failed to train the team well enough, they weren’t ready for such an important match. For an hour and 15 minutes, for psychological reasons I think, nothing worked. I didn’t think we could win the World Cup, but I though we would do better,” he added.
The 62-year-old, a national hero when he led Italy to 2006 World Cup glory, had already announced that he would step down again after the finals.
He had quit after the triumph in Germany, but returned in 2008 after Italy’s disappointing European Championship campaign under Roberto Donadoni.
“I don’t regret coming back, I came back with great enthusiasm. I have no intention of getting straight back into coaching and training after this. I’ll take some months off and we will see,” Lippi added. (ANI)
- Can Italy defend the World cup tile? (Group F team profile) - May 31, 2010
- Italy's coach to take a break from football - Jun 25, 2010
- Lippi confident of Italy defending World Cup title - Jun 07, 2010
- Italy start title defence with a draw; Dutch, Japan win (Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 15, 2010
- World Cup flops Italy receive friendly welcome home - Jun 26, 2010
- All Whites happy with spoiler role against Italy - Jun 19, 2010
- We need to invest in youth: Italy's losing captain - Jun 26, 2010
- New Zealand hold champs Italy to 1-1 draw (Lead) - Jun 20, 2010
- World Cup exit: Italian minister slams 'luxury immigrants' - Jun 25, 2010
- Slovakia a new symbol of defeat for downcast Italy - Jun 25, 2010
- Stuttering champions Italy face tough opener - Jun 13, 2010
- Titleholders Italy eliminated as Slovakia advance (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2010
- Reigning champs Italy held to a draw by Paraguay - Jun 15, 2010
- World Cup: Italian fans greet losing team with jeers - Jun 27, 2010
- Minister slams 'luxury immigrants' after Azzurris' World Cup exit - Jun 25, 2010
Tags: 15 minutes, cape town, coach marcello lippi, debutants, group stage, hearts, ignominious, intention, italy coach, legs, marcello lippi, match, national hero, paraguay, psychological reasons, roberto donadoni, slovakia, telegraph, world cup exit, world cup glory