Lia Neal qualifies for the OlympicsJuly 16th, 2012 - 10:57 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, July 16 (THAINDIAN NEWS) When 17-year-old Lia Neal finished fourth at the Olympic qualifier, she became only the second African-American to qualify for Olympic swimming. She was fourth at the 100-meter freestyle race and has thus qualified to be in the US relay team at the Olympics.
She is the daughter of singer Rome Neal. During a recent performance, Rome announced her daughter qualifying for the 2012 Olympics in London.
He told the crowd that, “My daughter’s name is Lia Neal and she just made it to become an Olympic swimmer, and she’ll be swimming in the Olympics in 2012 in London, England, the 4×100 relay.”
The announcement drew large cheers from the crowd. They further applauded when Rome told them that Lia has become only the second African-American to make it on the US Olympic team.
Lia secured her place in the US relay team at the beginning of the year. Rome revealed that Lia has borne the ambition of being in the Olympic team since she was a child. That dream was realized after some serious work.
London will host the Olympic Games this month.
- List of American swimmers for London Games - Jul 03, 2012
- Thorpe's Olympics bid fails at Australian trials - Mar 18, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- South African swimmer Townsend misses Olympic qualification - Apr 19, 2012
- Phelps gives up 200m for London Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Gagan sole Indian representative in swimming at London - Jul 07, 2012
- Olympics: US breaks women's 4x100m relay world record (World Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Love match on the beach (Olympic diary) - Aug 06, 2012
- Swimmer Thorpe claims he can perform faster than before - Mar 30, 2011
- Rogge lauds athletes, says Olympics happy and glorious (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Rebecca Adlington seeks gold on her CWG debut - Oct 02, 2010
- Indian swimmers win gold, not Olympic berth - Jul 06, 2011
- Indian swimmer Khade qualifies for 2012 Olympics - Jul 27, 2011
- Two Pakistani swimmers allowed to compete in Olympics - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: 2012 olympics, ambition, cheers, crowd, lia, london england, meter freestyle, olympic games, olympic qualifier, olympic swimmer, olympic swimming, olympics, relay team, rome neal, us olympic team