Lewis greater than Phelps, greatest ever, says ChristieAugust 14th, 2008 - 11:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, August 14 (IANS) The sporting fraternity might be hailing American swimmer Michael Phelps as the greatest Olympian, but famous British sprinter Linford Christie feels otherwise. Christie, an Olympic gold medallist, said American sprinter Carl Lewis, with whom he shared a rivalry, was the greatest Olympian ever. In fact, Phelps with his tally of eleven gold medals, surpassed Lewis. The US sprinter had nine gold medals along with erstwhile USSR gymnast Larisa Latynina, Finnish athlete Paavo Nurmi and US swimmer Mark Spitz.
“I don’t think Michael Phelps is the greatest Olympian because fewer athletes take part in swimming as compared to athletics. I feel Lewis was the greatest Olympian the world ever saw,” said Christie, who will be the guest anchor for a special Olympic programme on news channel NewsX.
“More people run than swim,” he added.
Christie emerged the fastest man in 1992 Barcelona Games, winning the showpiece 100-metre race. He also won silver medals in Seoul Olympics in 100 metres and 4X100 metres relay.
- Phelps retiring at right time: Soviet gymnast Latynina - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Phelps wants to have fun at Olympic swansong - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps misses out on gold, but claims record - Aug 01, 2012
- Michael Phelps close to achieving Olympic immortality - Aug 12, 2008
- Phelps reveals future: Working with kids and swimming with sharks - Aug 06, 2012
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Phelps guns for Thorpe, wants to reverse result of 2004 Athens Games - Feb 13, 2011
- Phelps caps career with gold in Olympic relay - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps and I will still be friends, says Lochte - Jul 29, 2012
- Late burst gives Phelps 100m butterfly gold - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: 4x100, american swimmer, barcelona games, carl lewis, fastest man, gymnast, linford christie, mark spitz, metre race, michael phelps, New Delhi, nine gold medals, nurmi, olympic gold medallist, rivalry, seoul olympics, showpiece, silver medals, sprinter, swimmer mark spitz