Levi Leipheimer’s Exit Puts Astana In TroubleJuly 18th, 2009 - 6:47 pm ICT by GD
According to the major cyclists, Levi Leipheimer’s loss due to a broken bone in his right wrist has leveled the playing field significantly in the Tour de France 2009. Prior to Leipheimer’s injury concern, his team Astana was one of the best teams in cycling. Now, it’s barely a good team, leave alone the term “greatest”.
According to the sources most assume that Leipheimer’s departure due to the injury during the first of the race’s defining mountain stages had hurt his fellow side kick Lance Armstrong more than it damaged Alberto Contador. Even Contador termed Leipheimer’s sudden departure from this year’s Tour de France as “a very serious blow”. Apparently, earlier it seemed that Leipheimer had suffered only a strained list, before it was reported that he had been carrying a broken bone.
“Not only because in the mountains he is very good. Levi is also very good in the descents. We really missed him today as he is one of the best descenders. He’s very good at guiding us down the mountain in a safe way,” said Contador who maintained a two second lead over Lance Armstrong.
The 35 year old cyclist was just 39 seconds behind race leader, Rinaldo Niconteni and was placed in the fourth spot in the three week race which is heading towards its final week. “The pain in the wrist is one thing but seeing you guys roll off without me is immeasurable,” said Leipheimer in a video posted in his Twitter account. Astana team manager John Bruyneel had reportedly said that Leipheimer “could have potentially won the tour”. The departure of Leipheimer leaves his team Astana in deep trouble, while the race advances to its crucial stages.
- Tour de France 2009: Stage 13 Results - Jul 18, 2009
- Astana looks to Armstrong for needed redemption - Jun 30, 2009
- Rotterdam Gears Up For Tour De France - Jul 03, 2010
- Lance Armstrong Crashes In Tour De California, Gets Eight Stitches Below Left Eye - May 21, 2010
- Eighth stage of Tour de France gets under way - Jul 11, 2009
- Tour de France lovers already looking ahead to 2010 - Jul 27, 2009
- Stage 19 of Tour de France begins with Contador in driver's seat - Jul 24, 2009
- Cycling champ Armstrong plays down retirement rumours - Jan 25, 2010
- Stage 12 of Tour de France gets underway - Jul 16, 2009
- Tour de France winner Contador suspended due to doping case - Jan 27, 2011
- 10th Stage Of Tour De France Brings In Old Memories For Lance Armstrong - Jul 14, 2010
- Armstrong denies claims made by drug cheat Landis over blood doping - May 21, 2010
- Stage nine of Tour de France gets underway - Jul 12, 2009
- Alberto Contador to lose his Tour de France title - Feb 06, 2012
- Contador to focus on Tour de France in 2012 - Oct 01, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,