Levante back to top four in Spanish Primera LigaFebruary 26th, 2012 - 7:53 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Feb 26 (IANS) Levante moved back into the top four of the Spanish Primera Liga with a 2-1 win away against Espanyol.
Espanyol begun the day in fourth place in the table, but fell a goal behind as former winger Valdo put Levante ahead midway through the first half.
The home side controlled nearly all of the ball, but struggled to create any clear-cut chances against a well-organized Levante defence. However, when Kalu Uche headed home the equalizer with 15 minutes remaining it looked as if Espanyol would grab the winner.
Ruben Suarez scored the surprise with an 89th minute free kick that took a deflection to leave Espanyol keeper Kiko Casilla stranded and end Levante’s run of eight games without a win, Xinhua reported.
The weekend kicked off with two 1-1 draws between Betis and Getafe and relegation threatened Racing Santander and Sporting Gijon.
Jorge Molina scored for Betis in the second half of their game only for his strike to be cancelled out by Dorado’s own goal five minutes later.
David Barral put Sporting ahead in Santander and the home side equalized from Christian Stauni’s penalty kick. The result leaves both sides in the relegation zone.
- Racing Santander relegated from Spanish Liga - Apr 29, 2012
- Valencia hold Barcelona to 2-2 draw - Sep 22, 2011
- Real Madrid to face Sevilla in Spain's Primera Liga - Dec 15, 2011
- Real Madrid extend La Liga lead - Nov 21, 2011
- Barcelona beat Sporting Gijon to top Spanish League - Oct 03, 2011
- Espanyol take narrow quarterfinal lead against Mirandes - Jan 18, 2012
- Real Madrid look to comeback after El Classico defeat - Dec 12, 2011
- Barca five points behind Real after draw against Espanyol - Jan 09, 2012
- Liga's penultimate round about survival and qualifying - May 04, 2012
- Crucial weekend for Madrid, Barca in La Liga - Feb 10, 2012
- Real Madrid's lead shrinks to four points - Apr 09, 2012
- Levante consolidate fourth place in La Liga - Nov 28, 2011
- Villarreal sacks coach Molina - Mar 19, 2012
- Real Madrid on brink of La Liga title - Apr 30, 2012
- Barcelona win easy in La Liga, Real maintain 10-point lead - Feb 20, 2012
Tags: 15 minutes, betis, david barral, deflection, eight games, equalizer, five minutes, free kick, getafe, jorge molina, kiko, madrid, penalty kick, racing santander, relegation zone, second half, spanish primera liga, sporting gijon, winger, xinhua