Legendary Manager Ralph Houk Dies At 90July 22nd, 2010 - 7:37 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
Boston, July 22, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The world of baseball lost one of its legendary manager on Wednesday as 90-year-old Ralph Houk breathed his last at Winter Haven, Florida. The death of the former Boston Red Sox manager Ralph Houk was confirmed by the spokesman of the team Dick Bresciani who said that the veteran former manager died on Wednesday afternoon. The team was informed of the passing away of the star manager by his grandson. However, the exact cause of the death of Ralph Houk was not immediately known.
Although Ralph Houk started his career as a backup catcher for the New York Yankees and played 91 games in his eight season tenure with the team, it was as a manager of the team later on that he shined. During his 20 years tenure as a manager for different teams, Ralph Houk managed 3,157 games and won 1,619 of them. In his first two years with the New York Yankees back in 1961 and 1962, he won the World Series. In 1963, Ralph Houk won the American League Pennant. Apart from New York Yankees, and Boston Red Sox, Ralph Houk was also associated with Detroit Tigers.
As a manager what differentiated Ralph Houk from other managers was his attitude towards the players of his team. Ralph Houk knew how to build the morale and confidence of his players. He always had an optimistic outlook and never criticized any of the players in front of the media or the public. He once said “I don’t think you can humiliate a player and expect him to perform”. The death of the legendary manager comes soon after the death of the principal owner of the New York Yankees George Steinbrenner.
- Pedro Martinez Throws The Ceremonial Pitch For The Boston Red Sox - Apr 05, 2010
- Dustin Moseley Takes To Field A Day Earlier - Aug 09, 2010
- Boston Red Sox moves to the top of the 'Al wild card chase' - Sep 28, 2011
- New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner hospitalized after suffering major heart attack - Jul 13, 2010
- New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner dies after suffering a massive heart attack - Jul 13, 2010
- New York Yankees' Principal Owner George Steinbrenner Passes Away - Jul 14, 2010
- Legendary "Shot Heard 'Round The World" Hitter Bobby Thompson Dies Aged 86 - Aug 18, 2010
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia Traded To Boston Red Sox - Aug 01, 2010
- New York Yankees Owner George Steinbrenner Dead at 80 - Jul 14, 2010
- Marco Scutaro Makes Preliminary Agreement With Boston Red Sox - Dec 05, 2009
- Documentary on Derek Jeter to be aired on 28th July - Jul 25, 2011
- Los Angeles Dodgers Manager Joe Torre Not To Return Next Season - Sep 18, 2010
- Bobby Jenks Agrees To $2Million Deal With Boston Red Sox? - Dec 17, 2010
- New York Yankees Announcer Bob Sheppard Dies At 99 - Jul 12, 2010
- NJIT professor projects 2011 Major League Baseball winners using math - Apr 02, 2011
Tags: american league pennant, attitude, backup catcher, boston red sox, bresciani, detroit tigers, dey, dick, exact cause, george steinbrenner, lost one, new york yankees, optimistic outlook, principal owner, ralph houk, spokesman, tenure, wednesday afternoon, winter haven florida, world series