Legendary Jarnail Singh conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna posthumouslyJuly 30th, 2012 - 12:03 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 29 (IANS) India’s legendary soccer defender Jarnail Singh was Sunday conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna - the club’s highest award - posthumously.
The award was given to his three daughters as part of Mohun Bagan Day celebrations.
“We are very proud of our father. We thank Mohun Bagan club officials for presenting this award to my father,” said Kulwinder Kaur.
Singh, who had played for Mohun Bagan club for 10 long years from 1959 to 1968, led the team for three years (1965-67).
Along with Chuni Goswami, he had brought several laurels for the historic club by winning the Calcutta League six times, IFA Shield and Durand Cup four times. One of the best defenders India has ever produced, Singh also excelled while playing for his country.
He was a key member of the side which won the gold at the 1962 Jakarta Asian Games and his performance in the 1960 Rome Olympics was also widely praised.
Singh passed away in 2000.
The All India Footall Federation (AIFF) had instituted the Jarnail Singh Award, in memory of the footballer, that is given to the best defender of the country.
- Sailen Manna - Factfile - Feb 27, 2012
- P.K.Banerjee to be conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna - Jul 07, 2011
- Mohun Bagan remembers 1911 IFA Shield win - Jul 30, 2010
- Mamata made Mohun Bagan's honorary life member - Jul 29, 2011
- The 107 caps of Bhaichung Bhutia (Career statistics) - Aug 24, 2011
- AIFF to felicitate heroes of 1951 and '62 Asian Games - Aug 15, 2012
- Samar Banerjee gets Mohun Bagan Ratna - Jul 30, 2009
- Soccer legend Sailen Manna dead (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Centenary celebrations of Mohun Bagan's historic IFA Shield win begin Thursday - Jul 28, 2010
- Darby quits as coach of Mohun Bagan - Oct 15, 2011
- Mamata regrets country's poor soccer standards (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- Bagan forms three-member panel to keep tab on Darby - Oct 10, 2011
- Chettri is AIFF's player of the year - Dec 20, 2011
- Footballer Ruud Gullit to visit Kolkata - Jul 25, 2012
- Bagan's 1911 Shield triumph to become part of school texts - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: aiff, asian games, calcutta, celebrations, club officials, durand cup, footall, footballer, goswami, India, jakarta, jarnail singh, kaur, laurels, memory, olympics, posthumously, rome olympics, six times, three daughters