Lee, Watson make it to Oz Twenty20 squadMay 5th, 2009 - 2:24 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, May 5 (ANI): Fast bowler Brett Lee and all-rounder Shane Watson have been included in Australia’s squad for next month’s Twenty20 world championship in England.
Lee and Watson were part of a 15-man squad named on Tuesday, which also included all-rounder Andrew Symonds and explosive opener David Warner.
Lee and Watson are aiming to bowl for the first time at international level on Thursday, when Australia play Pakistan in the Twenty20 game in the United Arab Emirates.
Lee has not bowled for his country since he experienced foot and ankle problems during last year’s Boxing Day Test against South Africa.
Watson played as a batsman in the five one-dayers against Pakistan, but has not bowled competitively since last November, because of stress fractures in his back.
Symonds’ inclusion is a further sign he has been welcomed back to the fold following his injury and discipline woes from last summer.
Australia have plenty of bowling stocks in their squad, through Mitchell Johnson and Peter Siddle, who were rested from the series against Pakistan, along with Nathan Bracken, Ben Hilfenhaus, James Hopes and spinner Nathan Hauritz.
The Twenty20 world championships from June 5-21 will serve as a warm-up before Australia’s Ashes tour of England, reports the Sydney Morning Herald.
Australian squad: Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Nathan Bracken, Brad Haddin, Nathan Hauritz, Ben Hilfenhaus, James Hopes, David Hussey, Mike Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Peter Siddle, Andrew Symonds, David Warner, Shane Watson.(ANI)
- Johnson lucky to get a Cricket Australia central contract - Jun 22, 2012
- Maxwell gets Australian team call-up - Jul 16, 2012
- Hastings a surprise selection in Australia World Cup squad - Jan 18, 2011
- Australian bowling stocks receive lukewarm praise before first ODI against England - Jun 21, 2010
- Lee, Tait recalled for first ODI against England - Jan 11, 2011
- Harris, Starc dropped from Windies tour, Haddin recalled - Feb 29, 2012
- Hastings in Australia's World Cup squad, Siddle dropped - Jan 18, 2011
- CA drops David Hussey, Bracken and Clark from contracted players list - Apr 07, 2010
- Bollinger a casualty of Lee's Ashes campaign - May 06, 2009
- Lee, Hodge named in Oz 30-man 2011 World Cup squad - Dec 17, 2010
- Australia field four debutants against New Zealand - Nov 26, 2011
- Lee in Australia's preliminary squad for World Twenty20 - Feb 26, 2010
- Ponting axed from Australia's ODI squad, Watson returns - Feb 20, 2012
- Lee, Watson, Symonds in Australia's Twenty20 World Cup squad (Lead) - May 05, 2009
- Lee, Watson, Symonds in Australia's Twenty20 World Cup squad - May 05, 2009
Tags: Andrew Symonds, ankle problems, ashes tour, boxing day, boxing day test, brett lee, david hussey, david warner, lee watson, man squad, michael clarke, mike hussey, mitchell johnson, nathan bracken, nathan hauritz, shane watson, siddle, stress fractures, sydney morning herald, united arab emirates