Lee, Tait recalled for first ODI against EnglandJanuary 11th, 2011 - 7:19 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 11 (IANS) Brett Lee and Shaun Tait have been included in the 14-man Australian squad for their Commonwealth Bank Series One-day Internationals (ODI) against England.Spinner Nathan Hauritz and David Hussey, too, have been called up. Hauritz was overlooked for the entire Ashes series which Australia lost 3-1.
Lee and Hussey have not played a 50-over international since 2009, while Tait last turned out for Australia in July.
Michael Clarke will lead the side in the absence of Ricky Ponting. Cameron White will be the vice-captain. Cameron White will be leading Australia in the two Twenty20 matches this week.
“We’ve selected a very strong squad of 14 for the first ODI of what promises to be a really fiercely contested series between the two sides,” chairman of the national selection panel Andrew Hilditch said in a statement.
The squad is selected for one game for the selectors to look at certain players before announcing the World Cup squad of fifteen Jan 19.
“Our One-day form has been pretty good over the last 12 months and as we build to a fourth successive title at the World Cup, these matches against England will not only provide us with a stern challenge but allow players to make cases for inclusion in that World Cup squad,” Hilditch said.
“We have given David Hussey the opportunity to push for inclusion in the World Cup squad as we think he will be well suited for the sub-continent conditions which will be faced in the World Cup,” he said.
“We have some explosive fast bowling with Shaun Tait, Brett Lee, Mitchell Johnson, Doug Bollinger and Peter Siddle all selected in this squad.”
“Shaun and Brett will, therefore, have an opportunity to impress in this form of the game before World Cup squad selection,” Hilditch noted.
“We’ve included Nathan Hauritz, who has been a key part of our One-day side for some time now and Xavier Doherty in this squad, who played well against Sri Lanka at the start of the summer. This gives us a chance to look at both of them prior to the World Cup.”
Australia squad: Michael Clarke (captain), Cameron White (vice-captain), Doug Bollinger, Xavier Doherty, Brad Haddin (wicket-keeper), Nathan Hauritz, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Peter Siddle, Steven Smith, Shaun Tait, Shane Watson.
- Spinners Hauritz, Doherty to face off for World Cup spot - Jan 11, 2011
- Hastings in Australia's World Cup squad, Siddle dropped - Jan 18, 2011
- Hastings a surprise selection in Australia World Cup squad - Jan 18, 2011
- Lee, Hodge named in Oz 30-man 2011 World Cup squad - Dec 17, 2010
- Tait backs CA's one spinner policy for World Cup - Jan 19, 2011
- Johnson lucky to get a Cricket Australia central contract - Jun 22, 2012
- Lee in Australia's preliminary squad for World Twenty20 - Feb 26, 2010
- Uncapped Doherty, Smith in Oz squad in place of Hauritz for first Ashes Test - Nov 20, 2010
- No room for both Tait and Lee in Oz WC squad - Jan 14, 2011
- Hauritz doubtful for England series, World Cup - Jan 22, 2011
- Harris, Starc dropped from Windies tour, Haddin recalled - Feb 29, 2012
- Oz selectors announce provisional 17-man Ashes squad for Gabba Test - Nov 15, 2010
- Australia still a force to reckon with in ODIs (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 07, 2011
- CA drops David Hussey, Bracken and Clark from contracted players list - Apr 07, 2010
- Lee named in Australian Twenty20 World Cup squad - Mar 30, 2010
Tags: bollinger, brett lee, cameron white, commonwealth bank, hilditch, jan 19, lee mitchell, michael clarke, mitchell johnson, nathan hauritz, national selection, odi, ricky ponting, selection panel, selectors, shaun tait, spinner, twenty20, vice captain, world cup squad