Ledley King retires from footballJuly 19th, 2012 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 19 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Knee problems have forced Tottenham Hotspur and England defender Ledley King to retire at the age of 31.
King joined Tottenham as a 14-year-old and spent his entire career at the North London club, becoming team captain and making 323 appearances.
He won the League Cup with Spurs in 2008, and played in their first-ever Champions League campaign in 2010-11.
“I know that being a one-club man is a rarity these days, but I have always enjoyed being part of the set-up here and the challenge of putting this Club up with the elite where it should be,” King said on the club website.
“Sadly my injuries and inability to train have now finally brought an end to my career.”
King’s knee problems affected much of his career, ruling him out for long stretches from 2006 onwards and preventing him playing matches in quick succession.
He will stay at Tottenham as a representative of the club, chairman Daniel Levy said.
“It is in an ambassadorial capacity that Ledley will continue, playing a crucial role in supporting the Club’s work in the community and the ongoing regeneration of the
Tottenham area, whilst also being a hugely positive role model for our younger players,” Levy said.
King earned 21 caps and scored two goals for England in an international career that included the 2010 World Cup.
- Defoe extends contract with Tottenham till 2015 - Aug 31, 2012
- England's Muamba quits football - Aug 15, 2012
- Copenhagen release N'Doye to Lokomotiv - Jul 25, 2012
- Louis Saha signs for Sunderland - Aug 16, 2012
- Crushing Czechs was easy: Pavlyuchenko - Jun 09, 2012
- Joining Zenit is another victory in my life: Hulk - Sep 04, 2012
- Spalletti backs Guardiola, Semak for Russia post - Jul 11, 2012
- Tottenham stars can win World Cup for England - May 07, 2010
- Tottenham Hotspur still has chances of signing Beckham: Redknapp - Jan 10, 2011
- Bertrand signs long-term contract with Chelsea - Sep 05, 2012
- Injured Ledley King to stay back with England team - Jun 16, 2010
- Kranjcar leaves Spurs for Dynamo Kiev - Jun 07, 2012
- Guardiola, Capello, Redknapp on official Russia shortlist - Jul 10, 2012
- Japanese midfielder Kagawa to join Man United - Jun 05, 2012
- Valencia buy Gago from Real Madrid - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: champions league, club chairman, daniel levy, dg, football london, hotspur, international career, knee problems, league campaign, ledley king, north london club, positive role model, rarity, regeneration, ria novosti, spurs, stretches, team captain, tottenham area, world cup