LeBron James gets third NBA most valuable player citationMay 13th, 2012 - 4:35 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 13 (IANS) Miami Heat star LeBron James named the National Basketball Association’s 2011-2012 season’s Most Valuable Player (MVP) award for the third time in four years.
James became only the eighth player to win the award three or more times but has yet to put an NBA champions ring on his finger. The others, including Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Jordan, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Moses Malone, all have won NBA titles.
James averaged 27.1 points, 7.9 rebounds and 6.2 assists in 62 games this season in his second campaign after signing with the Heat, Xinhua reported.
James finished with 1,074 points in voting by a media panel and NBA fans over the Internet, including 85 first-place votes.
NBA scoring champion Kevin Durant of Oklahoma City was second with 889 points, including 24 first-place ballots, followed by Chris Paul of the Los Angeles Clippers on 385 points with six first-place nods.
Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant was fourth with 352 points, including two first-place votes, and Frenchman Tony Parker, a star guard with the San Antonio Spurs, was fifth with 331 points and four first-place votes.
Last season, James led the Heat into the NBA finals, where Miami lost to the Dallas Mavericks. This season, the Heat have reached the second round of the NBA playoffs.
- US picks 12-man basketball squad for Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- Miami Heat win second NBA title - Jun 22, 2012
- Miami Heat take 2-1 series lead in NBA finals - Jun 18, 2012
- Golden State Warriors Loses To Miami Heats - Dec 11, 2010
- Miami Heat Thrash Cleveland Cavaliers In Historic Game - Dec 03, 2010
- Dallas wins NBA finals Game 4 - Jun 08, 2011
- Pat Riley: Man Behind The Big Trio - Jul 09, 2010
- Cleveland Cavaliers Fans Boo LeBron James - Dec 03, 2010
- Ray Allen Talks Defense Against Miami Heat - Oct 27, 2010
- NBA superstar Shaquille O'Neal announces retirement after 19 years - Jun 02, 2011
- Michael Beasley Traded To Minnesota Timberwolves - Jul 09, 2010
- Olympics: We are here for gold, says LeBron James - Jul 27, 2012
- Chris Bosh's wedding pictures released - Jul 19, 2011
- Kevin Durant finally hits the 50 point - Feb 24, 2012
- James, Bryant named Players of the Week - Jan 10, 2012
Tags: dallas mavericks, eighth player, kareem abdul jabbar, kobe bryant, lebron james, los angeles clippers, los angeles lakers, magic johnson, moses malone, mvp award, national basketball association, nba champions, nba fans, nba finals, nba playoffs, nba titles, place votes, ring on his finger, san antonio spurs, wilt chamberlain