Le Clos sends out warning to PhelpsAugust 2nd, 2012 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 2 (IANS) South African Chad le Clos sounded out a warning to Michael Phelps that he will again be the man to beat if the American wants to retain his Olympic title in the 100 metres butterfly.
Le Clos scored a dramatic last gasp victory over Phelps to take gold in the final of the 200 metres earlier this week and was the fastest swimmer in the heats for the 100m event, qualifying for the semi-finals with a time of 51.47, 0.18 seconds ahead of Phelps who took the second fastest time, reports Xinhua.
China’s Zhou Jaiwei made it to the semis with the eighth fastest time, while Le Cros was at pains to play down his win.
“I don’t think so. It is too short for me. I am just trying for a fast time that will get me into the final. These guys will be a lot quicker (in the semi-finals) than they were this morning,” he replied when asked whether he could repeat his triumph over Phelps in the event.
Phelps was slightly worried that he will compete in the 200 medley final just 35 minutes before the semi-final.
“It doesn’t really add too much time for rest purposes tonight if I’m in the first or the second one (semi-final). We just wanted to come in and get a good morning swim, so that was fun,” he commented.
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Phelps reveals future: Working with kids and swimming with sharks - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- South Africa's Chad wins six golds at Swimming World Cup - Oct 09, 2011
- Olympics: Phelps misses out on gold, but claims record - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Late burst gives Phelps 100m butterfly gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps books 200m fly Olympic berth - Jun 29, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps retiring at right time: Soviet gymnast Latynina - Aug 03, 2012
- Phelps scrapes into 400m individual medley final - Jul 28, 2012
- Phelps gives up 200m for London Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- British Olympic chief defends Chinese swimmer Ye - Jul 31, 2012