Laxman retires from international cricket (Lead)August 18th, 2012 - 7:44 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 18 (IANS) India’s top test cricketer V.V.S. Laxman Saturday announced his retirement from international cricket with immediate effect.
Addressing a press conference at Uppal stadium here, the middle order batsman made it clear that he would not play the test series against New Zealand starting Thursday with the first test scheduled here.
The Hyderabadi was picked up for the two-test series but he decided to hang his boots and give chance to a youngster.
Laxman said he took a conscious decision and heard his inner voice. “I don’t regret my decisions,” he said.
The star batsman, who was accompanied by his parents, wife and children, said he conveyed his decision to chairman of selectors K. Srikkanth this morning, who reluctantly accepted his retirement.
“It has been 16 years since I made my international debut for India and I feel it’s the right time to move on,” he said.
“I have always kept the country’s success and need ahead of my personal aspirations and hence while I would have loved to be contributing to the team’s success against England and Australia later in the season, I think it’s the right time to give opportunity to groom a youngster in home conditions before the tough tours overseas next year,” said Laxman.
- Laxman declares international innings (Second lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Laxman declares international innings (Third Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Hyderabad stadium's pavilion named after Laxman - Aug 23, 2012
- Dhoni not invited to Laxman's party - Aug 22, 2012
- Badrinath replaces Laxman in India Test squad - Aug 19, 2012
- It was time to move on: Laxman - Sep 02, 2012
- Cricket fraternity hails 'Very Very Special' Laxman - Aug 18, 2012
- Why blame only Laxman, asks Gambhir - Jan 17, 2012
- Whenever Dhoni hits a six, he says he didn't connect: Laxman - Nov 15, 2011
- Laxman, India's crisis man (Profile) - Aug 18, 2012
- Yuvraj returns for T20 World Cup, Harbhajan recalled (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Laxman has given strong and clear message to selectors: Ganguly - Aug 18, 2012
- V.V.S. Laxman retires from international cricket - Aug 18, 2012
- Dhoni hints at phasing out seniors after Adelaide - Jan 15, 2012
- Batting failure caused debacle in Australia: Srikkanth - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: boots, conscious decision, decisions, first test, hyderabadi, India, inner voice, international cricket, international debut, new zealand, parents, personal aspirations, retirement, right time, selectors, star batsman, test cricketer, test series, v v s laxman, youngster