Lawson expects Pakistan to qualify for T20 semifinalsJune 10th, 2009 - 3:53 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 10 (ANI): Former Pakistan coach Geoff Lawson expects Pakistan to qualify for the ICC World Twenty20 semifinals, after a morale-boosting victory over the Netherlands in a must-win Group C match.
Lawson said that Pakistan have managed to find the sort of rhythm needed to win big games, and should go on to do well against their Pool F rivals Sri Lanka, New Zealand and Ireland.
“Pakistan really played well and did what they needed to do,” said Lawson, who was Pakistan’s coach when they reached the final of the 2007 World Twenty20 championship in South Africa.
“I think Pakistan can reach the semifinals because the momentum is with them now,” The News quoted Lawson, as saying.
Pakistan outclassed the Netherlands by 82 runs after losing tamely to England on Sunday, but Lawson was not surprised at the team’s stunning comeback to qualify for the Super Eights.
“It wasn’t unexpected. I mean Pakistan is a very good side. They struggled early on because of the weather because they always have problems with cold conditions but now they have settled down,” Lawson concluded. (ANI)
- Ireland drop O'Brien as he opts for Bangladesh T20 League - Feb 10, 2012
- Whatmore to coach Pakistan's cricket team - Mar 03, 2012
- Euro 2012 Group B Preview: Many challenges in Group of Death - Jun 05, 2012
- Afridi set sights on World Twenty20 - Apr 15, 2011
- Next cricket World Cup reduced to top 10-team format - Feb 19, 2011
- Razzaq's match-winning innings could be 'turning point' for Pak team: Alam - Nov 02, 2010
- Lawson calls for Cricket Australia clean up - Feb 12, 2011
- Lawson predicts Pak-New Zealand World Cup cricket final - Mar 28, 2011
- England No.1 T20 side, India 5th - Oct 24, 2011
- S.Africa to host first ICC Women's Cricket Challenge - Aug 06, 2010
- Ireland calls ICC's decision right one for all 96 associates - Jun 30, 2011
- Olympics women's hockey: China lose to Japan, miss making semis - Aug 07, 2012
- Lawson to assist Afghan under-19 World Cup team - Jul 12, 2012
- Afridi "very happy" on Pak reaching World Cup semis but plays down title chances - Mar 25, 2011
- Focus necessary to maintain winning momentum in IPL: Virat Kohli - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: big games, coach, cold conditions, geoff lawson, icc world twenty20, ireland, london, match, momentum, netherlands, new zealand, pakistan, pool, rhythm, rivals, south africa, sri lanka, stunning comeback, victory, weather