Late burst gives Phelps 100m butterfly goldAugust 4th, 2012 - 7:41 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A late burst in the last 20 meters gave American swimmer Michael Phelps gold in the men’s 100 meters butterfly final Friday, his last individual competition.
Phelps clocked 51.21 to take his 17th career gold medal, two tenths ahead of Russia’s Evgeny Korotyshkin, who claimed the silver.
“It’s a good way to finish my last individual swim ever,” said Phelps.
Chad le Clos of South Africa won the bronze, given the same time as Korotyshkin.
Phelps has vowed to retire after the London Games.
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- South Africa's Chad wins six golds at Swimming World Cup - Oct 09, 2011
- Phelps caps career with gold in Olympic relay - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps misses out on gold, but claims record - Aug 01, 2012
- Le Clos sends out warning to Phelps - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: China's Sun wins gold in 1,500m freestyle - Aug 05, 2012
- Phelps reveals future: Working with kids and swimming with sharks - Aug 06, 2012
- Five Paralympic golds leave Savchenko incredulous - Sep 08, 2012
- Ethiopia's Dibaba retains 10,000m Olympic title - Aug 04, 2012
- Michael Phelps wins the gold medal at the FINA Swimming World Championship - Jul 27, 2011
- Olympic athletics: Felix wins 200m gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Gyurta wins 200m breaststroke gold, sets world record - Aug 02, 2012