Last-gasp pole for Vettel in Istanbul (Lead)June 6th, 2009 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
Istanbul, June 6 (DPA) German Red Bull driver Sebastian Vettel Saturday clinched a last-gasp pole position for Sunday’s Turkish Grand Prix as he posted the fastest-time in qualifying.
Championship leader Jenson Button seemed on course for yet another pole as he finished his qualifying session with a best time of 1:28.421 minutes on the 5.338 kilometre-long Istanbul Park course.
Vettel though, who finished his lap after the official time of ten minutes for the final qualifying session had already finished, managed to beat the Brawn GP driver’s time by 0.105 seconds.
“Finally we’ve got it,” Vettel screamed into the team radio after the lap.
Starting on the second row of the grid will be the BrawnGP of Rubens Barrichello and the second Red Bull of Mark Webber.
Jarno Trulli in a Toyota and Kimi Raikkonen in a Ferrari had the fifth and sixth-fastest time respectively, while the Ferrari of Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso’s Renault will start from the fourth row on the grid.
The top ten from the qualifying are completed by Nico Rosberg in a Williams and the BMW-Sauber of Robert Kubica.
Once again there was disappointment for world champion Lewis Hamilton, who went out in the first round of qualifying after posting the 16th-fastest time, while his team-mate Heikki Kovalainen was only a bit better in 14th.
Ahead of the seventh race of the season, Button leads the standings with 51 points after winning five of the opening six season-races. Barrichello is 16 points behind on 35, while Vettel is third with 23 points.
- Massa sets pace in free practice for Turkish Grand Prix - Jun 06, 2009
- Red Bull's Webber claims Turkish GP pole - May 29, 2010
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Vettel takes pole for Chinese Grand Prix in Red Bull one-two - Apr 17, 2010
- Rosberg fastest in first practice for Turkish GP - Jun 05, 2009
- Alonso wins dramatic Malaysian GP, Force India in top-10 - Mar 25, 2012
- Red Bull's Vettel takes pole for F1 season-opening Australian Grand Prix - Mar 26, 2011
- Red Bull's Vettel wins Australian Grand Prix - Mar 27, 2011
- Sensational pole for Force India's Fisichella in Spa - Aug 29, 2009
- New venues invariably slotted at end - Oct 25, 2011
- McLaren lock front row in Italy - Sep 08, 2012
- Button races to 1st pole for McLaren in Belgium - Sep 01, 2012
- Vettel gets second successive pole at Australian GP - Mar 27, 2010
- No points for Force India, Karthikeyan 21st at Turkish GP - May 08, 2011
- Vettel takes pole, di Resta 10th in Bahrain - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: bmw sauber, brawn, championship leader, fastest time, felipe massa, fernando alonso, jarno trulli, jenson button, kimi raikkonen, last gasp, lewis hamilton, mark webber, official time, robert kubica, rosberg, rubens barrichello, season races, sebastian vettel, team mate, world champion