Lampard says return to Chelsea a “breath of fresh air” after ‘disappointing’ World CupAugust 6th, 2010 - 2:48 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 6(ANI): Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard has said that his return to Chelsea is like a “breath of fresh air” after the trauma of England’s failed World Cup campaign.
Chelsea will play their first match of the season on Sunday with the Community Shield against Manchester United.
“I have to be honest and say that the disappointing summer is not affecting anyone at Chelsea. Of course I am disappointed about England and the World Cup, but it is a breath of fresh air to come back to Chelsea,” The Sun quoted Lampard, as saying.”No one wants to go to the World Cup and get knocked out. I’m sure that Brazil, Argentina, Italy and all the other big teams who didn’t get to the final feel the same. “But I’m not going to dwell on it and there has been no niggling mental effect for me because I’ve come back to a club that has just won the Double.”"It’s an exciting time to be at Chelsea and I think the players and the fans all need to enjoy the fact that we are the Premier League champions,” he added.
He further admitted that he was enjoying the prospect of starting the season as the champions rather than trying to win the title for the first time in two or three years.”I’ve had a month’s rest since the World Cup and that was enough for me because I haven’t lost too much fitness in that time,” Lampard said.
“I’ve only been back in pre-season training for a week and a half so obviously I’m not quite there yet, but I think a lot of clubs are having the same problem with their World Cup players,” he added. (ANI)
- Lampard laments 'bad timing' of friendly against Hungary ahead of PL kickoff - Aug 06, 2010
- John Terry apologises for being sent off against Barca - Apr 25, 2012
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Beckham helped me discover title-winning mentality: Walcott - Dec 29, 2010
- Lampard backs Terry to lift FA Cup and end continuous jeering - Mar 09, 2010
- Chelsea benefiting from England's ouster from World Cup: Ancelotti - Aug 23, 2010
- Man U will snatch back Premier League title from Chelsea this season: Ferdinand - Sep 14, 2010
- Taylor working on fitness with hopes of recall - Jul 03, 2012
- Terry says not bitter or angry about losing England captaincy - Nov 19, 2010
- Di Matteo appointed permanent Chelsea coach - Jun 14, 2012
- Scholes returns to Manchester United - Jan 09, 2012
- Adebayor wants to retire at Real Madrid - Jul 14, 2011
- Marseille boss Deschamps reveals why he turned Liverpool coaching offer down - Feb 21, 2011
- Lampard backs Torres, Luiz to 'make a difference' to Chelsea - Feb 18, 2011
- Lampard backs uncle Redknapp to succeed Capello as England boss - Feb 19, 2011
Tags: argentina, brazil, breath of fresh air, community shield, england, fitness, frank lampard, italy, league champions, london, manchester united, match, pre season training, premier league, sun, trauma, world cup campaign, world cup players