Lalit Modi to sue England board chief Giles ClarkeApril 9th, 2011 - 8:37 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 9 (IANS) Giles Clarke, the chairman of the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), is being sued by former IPL chief Lalit Modi for libel over an email he sent last year to Indian cricketing authorities warning of a plan to set up a rebel Twenty20 league in England.
“Clarke faces two separate libel actions: one from Modi, the founder of the Indian Premier League, and the other from IMG, the international sports marketing firm, both of whom deny they were involved in any plan to set up a rebel Twenty20 league in England,” according to a report in The Daily Telegraph Saturday.
The alleged plan called “Project Victoria” worth £1.2; billion ($1.87 billion) will be a key part of a libel case to be heard in England’s High Court this summer between some of the most powerful figures in the sport, the report said.
The libel claims will be heard at a high court trial in July, which is set down for a month and expected to cost £2; million.
Documents lodged at the high court show Clarke’s defence will allege IMG and Modi held discussions with leading English counties over a secret plan to introduce an IPL-style Twenty20 competition involving franchises rather than counties.
Modi and IMG counter that defence by claiming Clarke has lied in court documents in a “desperate attempt to exculpate himself,” a claim Clarke denies.
The email that provoked the libel claims was sent by Clarke to the president of the Indian cricket board, Shashank Manohar, although IMG contends it was also copied to members of the ECB board and other officials. It was subsequently leaked to the media. Clarke denies being responsible for the leak to the media.
- ECB boss sued over email slamming IPL 'takeover' of English Twenty20 - Apr 09, 2011
- Suspended IPL boss Modi to sue ECB chief Giles Clarke - Jun 17, 2010
- BCCI officials to discuss IPL financial dealings during Modi's tenure - May 17, 2010
- IMG can sue England board chief for claims about Modi - May 08, 2010
- IMG sends legal notice to Clarke on charges of defamation - May 16, 2010
- Modi to sue English cricket chief for defamation (Lead) - May 08, 2010
- Modi says he is suing Giles Clarke for defamation - May 08, 2010
- Clarke on backfoot as Modi and IMG plan to sue him - May 10, 2010
- ECB will not sue counties, says chairman Clarke - May 09, 2010
- IPL Gate: Modi to reply BCCI's second notice today - May 31, 2010
- No match-fixing in IPL, I trust franchisees, players: Modi - Jun 03, 2010
- Modi 'unperturbed', counties furious over ECB allegations (Lead) - May 07, 2010
- Counties deny Modi trying to split English cricket - May 07, 2010
- BCCI holds meet with IPL's marketing firm in Mumbai - May 18, 2010
- Allegations will destroy all that I have achieved: Cairns - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: court documents, court trial, daily telegraph, desperate attempt, ecb, england and wales cricket board, england board, english counties, giles clarke, indian cricket board, international sports marketing, libel actions, libel case, libel claims, manohar, marketing firm, modi, premier league, shashank, wales cricket board