Lakers edge Magic to take 2-0 lead in FinalsJune 8th, 2009 - 1:14 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, June 8 (DPA) Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers are halfway home in their run for the rings.
Bryant scored 29 points, Spanish-native Pau Gasol had seven of his 24 in the overtime along with 10 rebounds and the Lakers edged the visiting Orlando Magic 101-96 Sunday night to take a 2-0 lead in the NBA Finals.
Rashard Lewis had 34 points and 11 rebounds, Turkish-native Hedo Turkoglu had 22 points, while Dwight Howard finished with 17 and 16 boards for Orlando, which bounced back from a 25-point loss in Thursday’s opener but still fell short.
The Magic had a final shot to win in regulation after Turkoglu blocked Bryant’s jumper from behind, and recovered the loose ball.
With sixth-tenths of a second left, Courtney Lee took Turkoglu’s inbound crosscourt lob pass, but the rookie missed a wide-open layup at the buzzer.
Orlando hosts the next three games, beginning Tuesday night as the best-of-seven series, shifts to Amway Arena.
- Orlando Magic Ropes In Jason Richardson From Phoenix Suns - Dec 19, 2010
- Houston Rockets Loses To LA Lakers In NBA Opening Day - Oct 27, 2010
- Olympic basketball: Spain storms into final - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic basketball: Spain, US set up rematch of Beijing final (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Pau Gasol Steals The Show In NBA Finals Game 7 - Jun 18, 2010
- Olympic basketball: Spain storms into final (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Lakers knock off Nuggets, return to NBA finals - May 30, 2009
- Pau Gasol Saves Los Angeles Lakers - May 01, 2010
- Shannon Brown Steals The Show With His Crazy Dunks - Jun 16, 2010
- Lakers rip Rockets in NBA Game Seven - May 18, 2009
- Los Angeles Lakers Crush Boston Celtics In Game 6 - Jun 16, 2010
- Los Angeles Lakers Get Sweet Revenge On Old Rivals - Jun 18, 2010
- Denver Nuggets To Trade Carmelo Anthony To The Los Angeles Lakers? - Feb 09, 2011
- Los Angeles Lakers win NBA championship - Jun 15, 2009
- Rashard Lewis And Gilbert Arenas Swap Their Teams - Dec 19, 2010
Tags: amway arena, buzzer, dpa, dwight howard, halfway home, hedo turkoglu, jumper, kobe bryant, layup, loose ball, los angeles lakers, nba finals, orlando magic, pau gasol, rashard lewis, rebounds, series shifts, tenths, three games, tuesday night