Lahiri fires 69 to take leadAugust 9th, 2012 - 7:17 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Aug 9 (IANS) Local hope Anirban Lahiri snatched the lead at the end of third round in the PGTI Players Championship presented by Prestige Golfshire Club after he posted a bogey-free three-under 69 here Thursday.
Lahiri’s total score stood at eight-under-208, a stroke ahead of Delhi golfer Rashid Khan, who returned a 71 to be placed second at seven-under 209.
Lahiri (71-68-69), a two-time winner on the Asian Tour, made a fabulous start to the penultimate round as he sank a 15-feet birdie putt on the first hole. The 25-year-old made nine pars in a row thereafter as a result of some solid hitting.
Lahiri, who was overnight second, climbed to the top of the leader board thanks to two more birdies on the 11th and 17th. He landed it within a couple of feet on the 11th and within eight feet on the par-three 17th.
Lahiri, now staring at his 10th career title, said: “I’m quite happy with today’s effort. It was another good day for me. I hit it well and executed my strategy to
perfection. I made about 16 regulations.
“The putting was a little disappointing as I missed three putts from within 10 feet on the front nine. However, it’s great to be ahead at this stage. I’ll look to repeat this performance in the final round.”
Rashid Khan (67-71-71) stayed in touch with the leader with his score of one-under-71.
He had an eventful round with birdies on the third, seventh, 12th and 16th and bogeys on the second, 10th and 14th.
Sri Lankans Anura Rohana and Mithun Perera were third and fourth respectively. Rohana’s 68 was the day’s best score and moved his total to four-under 212. Perera’s third round 73 placed him a further two strokes back at two-under 214.
Lucknow golfer Vijay Kumar equalled the day’s best score of 68 to be placed tied fifth along with Chandigarh’s Ajeetesh Sandhu at one-under 215.
Bangalore’s Syed Saqib Ahmed, the lone amateur to make the cut, was in tied 22nd place at seven-over 223.
- Rohana snatches dramatic win in PGTI golf - Aug 10, 2012
- Golf: Rashid Khan leads by four strokes - Aug 07, 2012
- Ajeetesh, Jaini finish third and fourth at Sail Open golf - Mar 25, 2011
- Jeetesh and Jaini lead Indian charge at SAIL Open golf - Mar 24, 2011
- Louis Phillippe Golf: Ahmedabad top leader board - Mar 08, 2012
- Lahiri moves to top, Malik close second in BILT Open golf - Oct 29, 2010
- Indians big bid for top honours in Panasonic golf - Apr 07, 2011
- Debutant Vani snatches lead in Hero Women's golf - Aug 23, 2012
- Hedwall wins Women's Indian Open golf, Sharmila top Indian - Dec 11, 2011
- Two shot lead for Arjun Sharma in North India golf - Mar 13, 2012
- Gaganjeet Bhullar hogs limelight at Bangladesh Golf - Jan 26, 2011
- Rohana snatches lead at PGTI Players Championship - Mar 06, 2010
- PGTI Players Championship: Lahiri leads by two strokes - Jul 01, 2010
- 'Lucky' Lahiri wins Sail-SBI open golf - Feb 26, 2012
- Jaini, Bhullar, Das chase Siddikur at Panasonic Open - Mar 30, 2012
Tags: anura, asian tour, best score, birdie putt, birdies, bogeys, career title, first hole, lahiri, leader board, mithun, perera, players championship, rashid khan, rohana, sandhu, saqib, sri lankans, time winner, vijay kumar