LA Galaxy say Beckham deal not imminentFebruary 21st, 2009 - 2:16 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Feb 21 (DPA) Los Angeles Galaxy chief executive Tim Leiweke has denied a deal was imminent to allow David Beckham to join AC Milan.
“We are not close. Two weeks ago, Milan made a ridiculous offer, to which I replied ‘no’ in a few seconds,” Leiweke told the Italian sports daily Gazzetta dello Sport published Friday.
“With that figure, Galaxy don’t even cover the damages deriving from the shortfalls of not selling his shirts. Since then, no-one has made any moves. There are no meetings arranged.”
Reports have put Milan’s offer for the 33-year-old England midfielder at 5 million euros ($6.4 million).
AC Milan vice president Adriano Galliani was quoted by Italian media Thursday as saying his club was now close to convincing LA Galaxy to switch Beckham’s loan deal to full ownership.
Beckham is due back to the US club March 8, but has made enough of an impact in Serie A to persuade Milan to seek a permanent deal.
Leweke said he had decided to speak up “because I have read too many inaccurate stories.”
He added: “If David doesn’t return, who will replace him? Our transfer market is already closed. If Milan are so determined to keep him, why are they taking so long? Do they think that we will settle for less money? They are mistaken.”
- L.A. Galaxy rubbishes Milan claim of being close to signing Beckham - Feb 20, 2009
- Milan want Kaka back on loan - Aug 27, 2012
- Beckham likely back at AC Milan, Totti mulls over national team - Oct 13, 2009
- Milan not to raise offer for Becks - Feb 22, 2009
- Kaka on Galaxy radar to replace Beckham - Aug 18, 2012
- Beckham branded a 'selfish pig' by Los Angeles Galaxy fan - Jan 03, 2011
- Cassano hits out at AC Milan - Aug 26, 2012
- Beckham arrives for new season in Milan - Dec 29, 2009
- Kaka's father in talks with AC Milan - Jun 25, 2012
- AC Milan confirm talks for sale of Brazil star Silva - Jun 13, 2012
- Ibrahimovic, Silva sold to PSG, admits Berlusconi - Jul 13, 2012
- Beckham back at AC Milan in January - Nov 03, 2009
- A C Milan may offer Becks stunning 18-month deal - Feb 15, 2009
- AC Milan close to signing Beckham extension deal - Mar 03, 2009
- Milan's offer for Tevez rejected: Galliani - Dec 19, 2011
Tags: 5 million, ac milan, adriano galliani, chief executive, damages, david beckham, dpa, italian media, italian sports, la galaxy, loan deal, los angeles galaxy, midfielder, money, old england, rome, shortfalls, tim leiweke, vice president