Kuznetsova to miss US Open for ‘recovery’August 21st, 2012 - 6:51 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 21 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Two-time Grand Slam champion Svetlana Kuznetsova will miss the upcoming US Open to recover from injury.
Kuznetsova, Estonia’s world No.15 Kaia Kanepi and Italy’s 18th-ranked Flavia Pennetta were added to the US Open’s list of withdrawn players Monday, although organisers did not specify why any of the three had withdrawn.
“I’ve pulled out of the US Open,” Kuznetsova said on Twitter Tuesday.
“One of my very favourite events. I’m going to continue my recovery.”
Kuznetsova, the 2004 US Open champion and 2009 French Open winner, has spent several weeks away from competition with a knee injury.
Pennetta blamed a long-running wrist problem for her absence in a statement on Twitter Monday, while Kanepi missed Wimbledon last month with tendinitis.
Earlier this month, men’s No.3 Rafael Nadal withdrew from the tournament with tendinitis after missing the London Olympics.
Others missing the tournament include France’s Gael Monfils, Spain’s Juan Carlos Ferrero and British player Elena Baltacha.
Qualifying for the US Open starts Tuesday, with the main draw to be made Thursday and main draw play scheduled to start Monday.
The women’s final will be played Sep 8, with the men’s final a day later.
- Zvonareva withdraws from US Open - Aug 22, 2012
- Wimbledon: Venus Williams crashes out, Djokovic advances (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Pennetta crashes out at Wimbledon - Jun 25, 2012
- Radwanska advances at Wimbledon, Penetta knocked out (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Won't go to Olympics as a reserve: Kuznetsova - Jun 25, 2012
- Russian lifter mysteriously pulls out of Olympics - Aug 04, 2012
- US Open: Top seeds flare up in second round - Sep 02, 2011
- Knee injury sidelines Nadal for two months - Sep 03, 2012
- Russia avoids US, draws Spain in Olympic basketball - Jul 09, 2012
- Euro 2012: Mandzukic strike help Croatia draw 1-1 with Italy - Jun 15, 2012
- Olympics: Back injury dashes Russian weightlifter's hopes - Aug 04, 2012
- Federer overwhelms Melzer to set up Soderling showdown - Sep 07, 2010
- Ukraine coach hits out at refereeing after Euro exit - Jun 20, 2012
- Italy beat England on penalties in Euro Cup - Jun 25, 2012
- China Open: Wozniacki, Zvonareva move ahead; Stosur eliminated - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: dg, elena baltacha, flavia pennetta, french open, gael monfils, grand slam champion, juan carlos ferrero, kaia kanepi, knee injury, london olympics, olympics, open champion, open winner, organisers, rafael nadal, ria novosti, svetlana kuznetsova, tendinitis, twitter, wimbledon