Kumble starts new innings as commentatorJune 5th, 2009 - 5:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 5 (IANS) Former India cricket skipper Anil Kumble, like his team mate Sourav Ganguly, will start a new innings as a commentator and will make his debut with the Twenty20 World Cup.
Both Kumble and Ganguly will be part of ESPN STAR Sports commentary team as expert analysts for the tournament.
Kumble said: “I have always wanted to contribute to the game of cricket whether on or off the field. My association with ESPN STAR Sports poses an interesting challenge for me as I have never tried serious analysis before. I am looking forward to this unique opportunity with its mouth-watering prospect of rubbing shoulders with so many greats from the game of cricket.
“The T20 format does not leave much of a breathing space for both the player as well as the viewer as the match situation changes really fast. This fast format will surely open up many facets and nuances for the TV expert which I am sure will prove to be an enjoyable experience.”
R.C. Venkateish, managing director of ESPN Software India Pvt. Ltd, said “Anil is one of the greatest spin bowlers of all time. He has recently hung up his boots but the wealth of experience in handling all the great batsmen of the last two decades will surely come in handy when he is behind the mike. His understanding of match situations as well as inputs on bowling psychology will give a definitive edge to the illustrious roster of experts for the tournament.”
Besides Ganguly and Kumble, the panel will also have Wasim Akram, Sanjay Manjrekar, Alan Wilkins, Harsha Bhogle, Nasser Hussain, David Lloyd, Ian Chappell, Simon Doull, Kepler Wessels, Ian Bishop, Ranil Abeynaike and Athar Ali Khan.
- Ganguly debuts as a commentator with World Twenty20 - Jun 03, 2009
- ESPN STAR Sports to telecast live India's WC preparatory matches against Australia, Kiwis - Feb 11, 2011
- Team India imparts best leadership lessons: Anita & Harsha Bhogle - Jun 26, 2011
- ICC unveils Champions Trophy 2009 - Sep 17, 2009
- Panyangara replaces Rainsford in Zimbabwe World Cup squad - Feb 17, 2011
- Memories of two Cricket World Cup wins come alive at special gallery - Jan 03, 2012
- Doull picks Sri Lanka, India as top two favourites to lift World Cup - Feb 13, 2011
- McKay replaces injured Mills in New Zealand World Cup squad - Mar 26, 2011
- Tuffey replaces injured Bennett in New Zealand World Cup squad - Mar 20, 2011
- ESPN STAR Sports announces Champions League Twenty20 deal with Eurosport Group - Jul 20, 2010
- Politics is all about being in present: Tharoor - Jun 23, 2011
- Indian cricket pays rich tribute to Tiger Pataudi - Sep 23, 2011
- Tag of 'poor tourists' may haunt India again, fears Ganguly - Jan 11, 2012
- Dernbach replaces injured Shahzad in England World Cup squad - Mar 18, 2011
- Black Caps need to treat WC match against Zimbabwe with caution: Doull - Feb 27, 2011
Tags: alan wilkins, ali khan, athar, commentary team, david lloyd, definitive edge, espn, espn star sports, harsha bhogle, ian chappell, india cricket, india pvt ltd, kepler wessels, kumble, nasser hussain, sanjay manjrekar, simon doull, software india, team mate, twenty20 world cup