Kremlin to honour Russian Olympic teamAugust 15th, 2012 - 1:18 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 15 (IANS) Russian athletes returning from the London Olympics will be honoured at the Kremlin, Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko has said.
“I signed an order to honour you with high state awards. The President invites all of you for a social function Wednesday. You will be awarded at the reception,” Mutko said in a statement on the ministry’s website, Xinhua reported.
According to the ministry, total awards could reach 300 million rubles ($9.45 million) for the athletes. Gold winners will get 4 million rubles ($126,000), silver 2.5 million rubles ($78,700) and bronze 1.7 million rubles ($53,500).
Among the awards, cars will be given to the medal winners on the Red Square near the Kremlin, the minister said.
The Russian team, ranked fourth in the London Games which concluded Sunday, returned with 24 gold, 25 silver and 33 bronze medals. Though Russia didn’t finish among the top three, Mutko called the results “brilliant”.
“Our performance is better than it was at the Beijing Olympics. It is brilliant. Not every country is capable of that,” the minister said.
At Beijing, Russia reached top three behind China and the US with 72 medals, including 23 gold.
“The system works, nothing needs to be amended, nothing needs to be invented,” Mutko said.
He vowed that at the 2016 Olympics due in Brazil, Russia would make one more step forward in several sports like track cycling, rowing, swimming and shooting.
- Russia targets 25 gold medals in London Olympics - Apr 20, 2012
- Russian PM exhorts athletes to do best at Sochi Games - Aug 14, 2012
- Russian Olympic winners to get state awards - Aug 15, 2012
- Russia unhappy at not winning weightlifting gold - Aug 16, 2012
- China, US to battle it out for top position in London - Jul 22, 2012
- Putin envisions Russia as Paralympic powerhouse - Sep 11, 2012
- Russian Olympic medallists given luxury cars - Aug 16, 2012
- Russian lifter mysteriously pulls out of Olympics - Aug 04, 2012
- Russians to get $130,000 for London Olympics gold - Feb 04, 2012
- Russia backs all 24 shooters to win Olympic medals - Jun 26, 2012
- Olympic gold for Hungarians may be worth $155,000 - Aug 18, 2012
- Putin to host Russian Olympic team in Kremlin - Jul 21, 2012
- Russian team will be free of doping scandals in London: Minister - Jul 10, 2012
- Isinbayeva eyes gold in 2016 Olympics - Aug 18, 2012
- China can't reach Beijing gold haul in London, says official - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: 2016 olympics, 5 million, beijing olympics, bronze medals, gold winners, honour, kremlin, london games, london olympics, medal winners, olympics, red square, rubles, russian athletes, russian olympic team, russian team, state awards, track cycling, vitaly, xinhua