Kolkatans celebrate cricket World Cup winApril 3rd, 2011 - 12:53 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 2 (IANS) Thousands of Kolkatans took to the streets, beating drums and cymbals and lighting firecrackers to celebrate India’s win over Sri Lanka in the cricket World Cup final.
Thousands of crackers exploded in city, lighting up the night sky. From the young to adults, from street corners to pubs, there was no stopping anyone, anywhere.
Actors of the Bengali film industry and politicians irrespective of their political colour also joined in the celebrations.
Giant screens had been put up at several points in city, including various shopping malls, and attracted huge crowds who lustily cheered the Men in Blue.
Cricket buffs of all ages danced on the main roads, singing songs and celebrating the win.
A number of fans had painted their faces with the colours of the Indian national flag and waved the tricolour during the victory celebrations. Fans also shouted slogans in support of the team and the sang official World Cup song “De Ghumake”.
“Even though the first two India wickets fell early, things changed soon after Gambhir and Kohli put up a brilliant partnership, which was cemented by Dhoni,” a cricket fan said here, dancing with a group of youngsters.
Straddling speeding motorbikes, they screamed “Chak De! India”, wildly waved the national flag and soaked in the glory.
Many cricket enthusiasts ordered free drinks for friends after the victory. Several pubs and night clubs offered free drinks to visitors after the victory.
- World Cup party continues in Kolkata - Apr 03, 2011
- India in carnival mode after World Cup win (Roundup) - Apr 03, 2011
- Orissa celebrates India's win - Apr 03, 2011
- Wildly happy India cheers night that was - Mar 31, 2011
- Wild celebrations in Mumbai as India wins - Apr 03, 2011
- Hyderabad erupts in joy as India trounce Pakistan - Mar 31, 2011
- People partied on streets to celebrate India's World Cup win - Apr 03, 2011
- Crackers and cries of joy in Hyderabad - Apr 03, 2011
- Diwali, New Year in Karnataka as India win World Cup - Apr 03, 2011
- Chandigarh euphoric over World Cup win - Apr 03, 2011
- Indian expats sing and dance to celebrate victory - Apr 03, 2011
- India unites to celebrate victory over Pakistan (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- Kerala fans cheer India victory - Mar 31, 2011
- From slums to skycrapers, Mumbai celebrates World Cup win (Lead) - Apr 03, 2011
- Local boy Dhoni wins praise as Jharkhand celebrates - Apr 03, 2011
Tags: beating drums, bengali film, chak de india, city lighting, cricket enthusiasts, cricket fan, cricket world cup, firecrackers, free drinks, gambhir, giant screens, indian national flag, lighting up the night, main roads, night sky, several points, shopping malls, singing songs, tricolour, victory celebrations