Kohli rises to 2nd in ODI rankings, three Indians in top-10August 5th, 2012 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
Pallekele (Sri Lanka), Aug 5 (IANS) India batsman Virat Kohli has achieved a career-best second position in the latest ICC one-day rankings released a day after the conclusion of India-Sri Lanka series which the visitors won 4-1.
Kohli, the Indian vice captain, entered the series as the third-ranked batsman. He moved up one position following his Player of the Series performance in which he scored 296 runs.
The former India Under-19 captai also achieved a career-best rating of 866 after the fourth One-day International (ODI) in which he scored 128 not out in India’s six-wicket victory.
Kohli now trails South Africa’s Hashmi Amla by 13 ratings points and can potentially top the batting chart if the South Africa opener fails to perform in the five-ODI series against England starting August Aug 24 in Cardiff.
Kohli’s team-mate and opener Gautam Gambhir has also broken into the top 10 which means India now have three batsmen inside the top 10 with skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni sitting in fifth position. Gambhir scored 258 runs in the series and has been rewarded with a jump of seven places which has put him in 10th position.
Other India batsmen to move up the order include Virender Sehwag in 26th (up by one) and Suresh Raina in 30th (up by two), while Rohit Sharma has slipped eight places to 54th.
For Sri Lanka, Upul Tharanga in 40th (up by four) and Lahiru Thirimanne in 86th (up by seven) are the only batsmen to move up the ladder.
Tillakaratne Dilshan in 15th (down by six), Mahela Jayawardena in 22nd (down by three), Dinesh Chandimal in 32nd (down by 10) and Angelo Mathews in 39th (down by three) are some of the Sri Lanka batsmen to drop down in the standings.
India’s 4-1 victory have seen them move up to second place in the team rankings.
- India have good chance of going past England in ODI rankings - Oct 12, 2011
- Ashwin, Kohli achieve career-best rankings - Sep 04, 2012
- Dhoni sixth in ODI rankings after prolific series in England - Sep 18, 2011
- Cook climbs to career-best third spot in Test rankings - Aug 14, 2011
- Saeed Ajmal becomes No.1 ranked ODI bowler - Sep 06, 2012
- Kohli moves to seventh in ICC ODI rankings - Jun 19, 2011
- Ashwin achieves career-best ranking, Sachin out of top 10 - Aug 27, 2012
- Kohli starts series as highest-ranked batsman - Feb 04, 2012
- Series win against Sri Lanka takes India to second spot - Aug 05, 2012
- Dilshan, Tendulkar and Gambhir all rise in ICC rankings - Apr 04, 2011
- Dhoni, Kohli among top-10 ODI batsmen in ICC rankings - Dec 07, 2011
- Broad breaks into top three of ICC Test rankings - May 22, 2012
- India move ahead of England after 2-0 lead in ODI series - Oct 18, 2011
- Reliance-ICC ODI rankings: Swann in third spot, Morgan is highest-ranked England ODI batsman - Sep 23, 2010
- Watson becomes No.1 all rounder in ODIs - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: amla, batsman, captai, cardiff, dhoni, dilshan, fifth position, gautam gambhir, indians, ladder, mathews, odi series, sehwag, series performance, skipper, suresh raina, team mate, upul tharanga, vice captain, wicket victory