Kochi Tuskers overpower Mumbai Indians in pulsating tie (Lead)April 16th, 2011 - 1:49 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 16 (IANS) Brendon McCullum and Mahela Jayawardene smashed 128 runs in their opening stand as Kochi Tuskers defeated Mumbai Indians by eight wickets at the Wankhede Stadium here Friday to register their first victory in Indian Premier League.
Mumbai Indians captain Sachin Tendulkar’s first Twenty20 century was not enough to see his team through.
Chasing a tough target of 183 runs, McCullum (81) and Jayawardene (56) built the innings in a clinical fashion. Their partnership of 128 came in 13.5 overs. Jayawardene, who just two weeks ago scored a fabulous century in the World Cup final against India here, was in full flow. He showed his array of strokes, hitting nine fours in 36 balls.
McCullum was his usual belligerent self and smacked 10 fours and two sixes.
But just when it seemed that the two would comfortably take their team home, fiery pacer Lasith Malinga removed both and suddenly Mumbai Indians looked back in the hunt.
Malinga first bowled Jayawardene with his trademark yorker and then McCullum’s stumps were rattled as he tried a scoop and missed the line of the ball.
Ravindra Jadeja (25 not out) and Brad Hodge (11 not out) completed the job for Kochi. Hodge hit Malinga for two consecutive fours. With 19 required off 12 balls, Jadeja slammed spinner A. Murtaza for a four and two consecutive sixes to cross the ropes with an over to spare.
It was Mumbai’s first loss in the season in two outings and it came in their bastion. It was the maiden IPL victory for debutant Kochi Tuskers, who had lost the first two matches.
In the first session, it was a Tendulkar show. The master blaster scored an unbetaen 100 and guided the innings. Tendulkar and Ambati Rayudu, who hit four sixes and three fours, raised 116 runs for the second wicket.
Tendulkar exploded in the final five overs as he plundered 45 runs. He hit 12 fours and three sixes in his 66-ball knock.
Vinay Kumar came in the firing line of Tendulkar’s bat and was dispatched all over the park.
- Kochi Tuskers beat Mumbai Indians - Apr 16, 2011
- Poor fielding let us down against Kochi Tuskers: Tendulkar - Apr 16, 2011
- IPL Scoreboard: Mumbai Indians vs Kochi Tuskers - Apr 16, 2011
- Kochi Tuskers register first IPL win at home (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Gayle powers RCB to victory over Kochi Tuskers (Roundup) - May 08, 2011
- Sharma's fiery spell gives Deccan Chargers 55-run win (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Karthik stars in Kings XI's win over Kochi Tuskers (Lead) - May 14, 2011
- Kochi Tuskers beat Knights in close game (Lead) - Apr 21, 2011
- Giant-killers Tuskers tame Knight Riders by 17 runs (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- De Villiers stars in Royal Challengers' victory over Kochi Tuskers - Apr 10, 2011
- Gayle, Dilshan power RCB to nine-wicket win over Tuskers (Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Mishra stars in Pune Warriors's win over Kochi Tuskers (Lead) - Apr 14, 2011
- Hodge powers Tuskers to thumping victory against Rajasthan Royals (Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Bowling consistently in right areas helped bag five wickets: Ishant - Apr 28, 2011
- Warne takes three, Rajasthan Royals thrash Kochi Tuskers (Lead) - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: bastion, brendon mccullum, eight wickets, firing line, first victory, four sixes, jadeja, mahela jayawardene, murtaza, pacer, premier league, ropes, sachin tendulkar, stumps, three sixes, tough target, twenty20, two sixes, wankhede stadium, wicket