Kochi IPL set to finalise name, coachSeptember 27th, 2010 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Sep 27 (IANS) Coming up is a crucial week for the Kochi Indian Premier League (IPL) team that will have to finalise the name, coach, support staff and a crucial agreement to be inked with the Kerala Cricket Association (KCA).
“The agreement between KCA and the team has to take place soon. Since the AGM (annual general meeting) of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is taking place later this week, there will be informal consultations with the Kochi IPL team owners,” KCA secretary T.C. Mathew told IANS over telephone from Mumbai.
Rendezvous Sports World in March won the franchisee for the Kochi IPL team with a bid of Rs.15 billion.
The Kochi IPL team had a scare after Shashi Tharoor, who was highly supportive of the venture, lost his job as minister of state for foreign affairs after revelations that Sunanda Pushkar, now his wife, owned sweat equity in the team.
But the controversy has since settled and the team owners of Kochi IPL have been very cautious about their moves.
Quite a few names of former international cricketers, including Steve Waugh, Geoff Lawson, Sunil Gavaskar and Ravi Shastri, have been going around for the post of coach.
“Please leave me out of naming anyone,” said Mathew.
With Kochi being home to the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, which has held international matches in the recent past, for all practical purpose it would be the home ground for the Kochi team.
This venue got a major boost ahead of the next season of the IPL as it is to host the first ODI match Oct 17 against the visiting Australian team.
“Hopefully, by the end of this week, more details of the Kochi IPL team would emerge,” said Mathew.
- Controversies done, Kochi set for maiden IPL match - Mar 31, 2011
- Kochi owners yet to take final call on Geoff Lawson as coach - Dec 26, 2010
- Kochi fans want home boy Sreesanth in IPL team - Jan 07, 2011
- Kochi IPL needs to register under as company in 15 days - Oct 02, 2010
- Kochi IPL will make it: Kerala Cricket Association - Oct 10, 2010
- Everything is fine with Kochi IPL team, say owners - May 11, 2010
- I have no formal role in Kochi IPL: Tharoor - Oct 03, 2010
- Kochi IPL owner says no show cause notice received from BCCI - Oct 07, 2010
- Kochi IPL to reveal name, logo and jersey in February - Jan 18, 2011
- Kerala Cricket Association to meet Kochi IPL owners on Oct.7 to resolve issues - Oct 04, 2010
- In huge IPL shake-up, Rajasthan and Kings are axed (Roundup) - Oct 10, 2010
- 'No change in Kochi IPL team's home ground' - Feb 20, 2011
- Kochi pulls out of IPL (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Terminated Kochi Tuskers seek Kerala chief minister's help - Feb 02, 2012
- Blame game starts over abandoned Kochi ODI - Oct 17, 2010
Tags: annual general meeting, coach support, cricket association, franchisee, geoff lawson, india bcci, informal consultations, international cricketers, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru stadium, mathew, minister of state, odi, ravi shastri, rendezvous, sports world, steve waugh, sunil gavaskar, sweat equity, tharoor