Knight Riders suffer second consecutive defeat in Champions League (Lead)September 28th, 2011 - 1:49 am ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Sep 28 (IANS) Kolkata Knight Riders remained at the bottom of group B as they lost by 19 runs to South Australia Redbacks for their second consecutive defeat in Champions League Twenty20 at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium at the Uppal here Tuesday.
Tight bowling by Redbacks restricted Knight Riders to 169 for nine in 20 overs while chasing a target of 189. Gary Putland and Daniel Harris picked up three wickets each while Kane Richardson backed two.
Knight Riders’ top order gave a start but failed to convert them into a big score. Gautam Gambhir, batting at No.4, scored a 31-ball 40 but didn’t get any support from the other end as Knight Riders lost wickets at regular intervals. Dutchman Ryan ten Doeschate came up with a cameo of 16-ball 32.
Knight Riders needed 51 runs off the last two overs and Rajat Bhatia’s 21 off 13 balls helped them to reduce the margin and maintain a better run rate.
Earlier in the day, an unbeaten 40-ball 70, studded with five fours and four sixes, by Callum Ferguson helped Redbacks pile up a mammoth total of 188 for five in 20 overs. Ferguson was also adjudged as the Man of the Match.
Openers Michael Klinger (20) and Daniel Harris (26) gave the Redbacks a good start with their 45-run stand but they departed in successive overs.
Ferguson and Daniel Christian, who struck 42 off 27 balls, added 84-run stand for the fourth wicket that helped Redbacks get a big score.
- Scoreboard: South Australia Redbacks vs Kolkata Knight Riders, Champions League - Sep 28, 2011
- Frenzied fans turn up to back RCB in eliminator - Oct 05, 2011
- Defiant Redbacks set 215 target for RCB - Oct 05, 2011
- South Australia to bat against RCB - Oct 05, 2011
- Knight Riders set Mumbai 148-run target - May 25, 2011
- RCB knock out Redbacks in thriller to enter CLT20 semis - Oct 06, 2011
- Warriors to bat against South Australian Redbacks - Sep 25, 2011
- We played to the plan: Johan Botha - Sep 25, 2011
- Final squads of 11 teams for Champions League named - Aug 22, 2011
- Gambhir takes Knight Riders closer to IPL play-offs - May 20, 2011
- Knight Riders set 166-run target for Royal Challengers - Apr 10, 2012
- IPL: Knight Riders trample Royal Challengers (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Somerset beat Knight Riders, both teams qualify for CLT20 - Sep 22, 2011
- Knight Riders beat Daredevils, qualify for main IPL final(lead) - May 23, 2012
- Heavy rain washes out Somerset-Redbacks CLT20 tie - Oct 01, 2011
Tags: callum, cameo, champions league, consecutive defeat, daniel harris, dutchman, ferguson, four sixes, klinger, knight riders, putland, rajat, rajiv gandhi international stadium, redbacks, south australia, target, twenty20, uppal, wicket, wickets