KKR vs Deccan Chargers match at Kolkata washed outApril 25th, 2012 - 12:20 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 24 (IANS) The Indian Premier League match between Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) and Deccan Chargers (DC) was called off without even a ball being bowled after a thunderstorm accompanied with heavy rain lashed the Eden Gardens Tuesday.
With the match abandoned, both teams shared a point each. KKR with 9 points from 8 games are at second place while Deccan Chargers with 5 losses in as many games before the match opened their points tally with one point and are at the bottom of the table.
The thunderstorm came without a warning, when KKR captain Gautam Gambhir and his Deccan Chargers counterpart Kumar Sangakkara were getting ready for the toss.
“The ground has taken a lot of rain. In spite of some good work by the groundsmen, the outfield is quite soggy and unfit for play. After inspecting the ground we are of the opinion that the match cannot be played here,” field umpire V.A. Kulkarni said.
Meanwhile the squall and heavy downpour caused a bamboo-built box collapsed inside the stadium to collapse injuring two spectators.
- Two spectators injured as box collapses at Eden Gardens - Apr 24, 2012
- Heavy rain washes out Somerset-Redbacks CLT20 tie - Oct 01, 2011
- Eden Garderns set for Dada-SRK grudge match (Preview) - May 04, 2012
- IPL kicks off in Kolkata on a high note - Apr 11, 2011
- Heavy rain disrupts England practise session in Bangalore - Feb 25, 2011
- Heavy rain holds up Bangalore CL T20 tie - Oct 01, 2011
- Rain delays start of Eden Test - Feb 17, 2010
- Daredevils aim to again top the table (Preview) - May 09, 2012
- Rain might play spoilsport at Kochi one-dayer - Oct 15, 2010
- Whatmore asks KKR players of no more slip-ups in IPL - May 03, 2011
- RCB desperate to return to winning streak - May 05, 2012
- Kings XI Punjab take on Deccan Chargers in a must-win game - May 20, 2011
- KKR back at Eden, Ganguly's absence talking point - Apr 10, 2011
- Near capacity crowd at Eden Gardens - Apr 06, 2012
- Rain delays match between two Royals - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: april 24, chargers, counterpart, deccan, eden gardens, field umpire, gautam gambhir, heavy downpour, heavy rain, kkr, knight riders, kolkata, kumar sangakkara, losses, outfield, premier league, spectators, spite, squall, thunderstorm