Kiwis beats India in first of two 20-20sFebruary 25th, 2009 - 5:26 pm ICT by ANI
Christchurch (New Zealand), Feb.25 (ANI): New Zealand beat India by seven wickets in the first of two Twenty20 matches at the AMI Stadium here on Wednesday.
Wicketkeeper batsman Brendon McCullum and opener Mark Guptill powered the Kiwis to 166 for 3 in reply to Indias 162 for eight.
McCullum scored 56 and Guptill 41. For India, middle-order bat Suresh Raina top scored with an unbeaten 61. Kiwi pacer Butler snared two wickets for 29 runs.
New Zealand and India adopted different approaches to their innings and in the end it was the host’’s more measured and sensible method that prevailed over the visitors” manic thrash.
The Indian innings fell away after a blazing start by Virender Sehwag, who hit his first three balls for sixes.
New Zealand, on the other hand, were guided by opener McCullum, who batted through the innings, while his team mates forced the pace.
McCullum took charge during the final overs, reached his half-century, and ensured New Zealand won with seven balls to spare.
India bashed 13 sixes in their innings - one short of the record for Twenty20 internatonals - but in the end had to settle for a par score. (ANI)
- New Zealand overhaul India's lead in Hyderabad Test (Tea report) - Nov 15, 2010
- Dhoni's unbeaten 108 propels India to 360/5 - Feb 16, 2011
- Series remains alive after West Indies crash - Jul 12, 2012
- Shillingford nabs five but Kiwis battle to draw - Jul 23, 2012
- McCullum, Taylor take New Zealand to 358/6 (Lead) - Mar 13, 2011
- Narine undermines New Zealand as Windies win series 4-1 - Jul 17, 2012
- Gayle, Pollard shine as Windies break winless slide - Jul 01, 2012
- India vs New Zealand: Scoreboard at lunch on fourth day - Aug 26, 2012
- Indian bowlers leave Kiwis tottering on first day of Nagpur Test - Nov 20, 2010
- Heavy rains halt play in first Test (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- India tighten grip on first Test against New Zealand (Roundup) - Aug 24, 2012
- World Cup warm-up: Dhoni leads Indian run spree - Feb 17, 2011
- Narine revives Windies with late wickets - Jul 26, 2012
- Pakistan beats New Zealand in Christchurch ODI to level series 1-1 - Jan 29, 2011
- New Zealand set 316 target for India in Bangalore ODI - Dec 07, 2010