Kiwis beat depleted India by nine runs in ICC T20 warmup (Second Lead)June 2nd, 2009 - 4:24 am ICT by IANS
London, June 2 (IANS) A depleted India lost by nine wickets to a disciplined New Zealand in the opening warm-up tie of the ICC Twenty20 tournament at Lord’s cricket ground here Monday.
India, without the services of Virender Sehwag and Yuvraj Singh, who was down with food poisoning, managed to score only 161 for six despite a good start given by Rohit Sharma.
The defending champions were powered by a 20-ball 36 by Sharma - opening in place of Sehwag - and a 24-ball 45 by Suresh Raina, and needed to score at a manageable rate of 8.5 runs an over at the end of the 16th over.
But the Kiwi bowlers led by skipper Daniel Vettori kept a tight least, grabbing wickets at regular intervals and conceding only 24 runs in the last four overs as the Indian innings folded up for 161 for six.
Earlier, put into bat by Indian skipper M.S. Dhoni, New Zealand scored a fighting 170 for seven wickets.
New Zealand, who have not lost a Twenty20 match against India, had enough in their armoury Monday to keep that record intact.
Some lusty hitting by Nathan McCullum (18 runs, 14 balls, three fours) and James Franklin (27, 10 balls, 3×4, 2×6) in the last two overs produced 31 runs after paceman Ishant Sharma rocked their innings with a four-wicket burst.
Ross Taylor top scored with 41 (33b, 3×4, 2×6) while Brendon McCullum (31, 19b, 4×4) and Scott Styris (29, 19b, 5X4) chipped in with useful contributions.
India rested vice-captain Sehwag and fast bowler Zaheer Khan for the game.
New Zealand 170 for seven (Ross Taylor 41, Brendan McCullum 31, Scott Styris 29, James Franklin 27, Ishant Sharma 4 for 25)
India 161 for six (Suresh Raina 45, Ravindra Jadeja 41, Rohit Sharma 36, Daniel Vettori three for 24)
- India beaten by New Zealand yet again (Lead) - Jun 02, 2009
- Scoreboard of New Zealand's innings, fourth ODI against India - Dec 07, 2010
- India fall short by nine runs - Jun 02, 2009
- Scoreboard of New Zealand's innings against India - Dec 01, 2010
- Scoreboard of New Zealand innings against Australia - Feb 25, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs New Zealand, third ODI - Dec 04, 2010
- Scoreboard: New Zealand vs Australia, World Cup Group A - Feb 25, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs. New Zealand, fourth ODI - Dec 08, 2010
- Rearguard action swells New Zealand score to 170 for 7 (Lead) - Jun 02, 2009
- Scoreboard: India vs New Zealand, Third Test, Day two - Nov 21, 2010
- India opt to bowl against New Zealand in third ODI - Dec 04, 2010
- New Zealand set 316 target for India in Bangalore ODI - Dec 07, 2010
- World Cup scoreboard: New Zealand vs Canada, Group A - Mar 13, 2011
- Scoreboard of New Zealand's innings against Sri Lanka - Mar 29, 2011
- World Cup: Scoreboard of India-New Zealand warm-up match - Feb 16, 2011
Tags: 2x6, armoury, brendan mccullum, brendon mccullum, daniel vettori, indian skipper, ishant sharma, jadeja, james franklin, m s dhoni, nine wickets, rohit sharma, ross taylor, scott styris, seven wickets, suresh raina, vice captain, virender sehwag, yuvraj singh, zaheer khan