Kiwis banking on young swimmers to make golden splash in Delhi CWG poolOctober 2nd, 2010 - 4:49 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 2 (ANI): The Kiwis are banking on its young swimmers to win some medals in the Delhi Commonwealth Games.
According to The Dominion Post, four 20-year-old swimmers would be taking part in the games, which are starting from October 3.
Wellington swimmer Gareth Kean, who turns 20 on Tuesday, would take part the 100m and 200m backstroke. He is ranked 14th in the world in the 200m backstroke, but crucially, third in the Commonwealth.
Kean has said that his coach Gary Hurring, one of New Zealand’s greatest backstrokers who won gold at the 1978 Games, has had a huge impact on his swimming career.
“I am well aware of the history. Unfortunately he can’t come to Delhi. But I know what he would have said to me before the race, so I can go ahead and tell it to myself,” Kean said.
Daniel Bell, the former junior world champion, who made a splash at the Beijing Olympics, would not only compete in the same events but also swim in the 50m dash.
Twenty-year-old Emily Thomas from Gisborne is the other aspiring swimmer that New Zealand are looking upto. She had won a bronze in the 50m backstroke at the Pan Pacific championship last month. (ANI)
- Teenage swimming sensation Seebohm to spearhead Oz challenge at CWG - Aug 27, 2010
- CWG swimming: Indian men qualify for 4x100m freestyle relay - Oct 04, 2010
- Kiwi swimmer in drink row defended by father - Oct 16, 2010
- South African swimmer Townsend misses Olympic qualification - Apr 19, 2012
- Seebohm determined to be face of Oz swimming at Delhi CWG - Oct 02, 2010
- Rebecca Adlington seeks gold on her CWG debut - Oct 02, 2010
- Lifters win India's first four medals at CWG 2010 (Night Lead) - Oct 04, 2010
- Golden girl in Paralympic pool - Sep 05, 2012
- Richa betters her Games record, wins ninth gold (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- List of American swimmers for London Games - Jul 03, 2012
- Silver, bronze India's first medals in CWG 2010 (Evening Lead) - Oct 04, 2010
- CWG Schedule, Day 3 - Oct 06, 2010
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Monday's Commonwealth Games schedule - Oct 04, 2010
- CWG Schedule, Day Five - Oct 08, 2010
Tags: 100m, 200m backstroke, beijing olympics, commonwealth games, cwg, daniel bell, dominion post, emily thomas, gisborne, junior world champion, kean, medals, New Delhi, new zealand, olympics, pan pacific, pool, swimmer, swimmers, wellington