Kiwi administrator Anderson rules himself out as Howard’s replacement for ICC post

July 24th, 2010 - 2:27 pm ICT by ANI  

Wellington, Jul 24 (ANI): New Zealand administrator Sir John Anderson, who lost the ICC vote to former Australian premier John Howard, has ruled himself out as a nominee for ICC vice president’s post.

It was NZC and Cricket Australia’s (CA) turn to jointly nominate a candidate, but original nominee Howard was last month rejected by the ICC, who said he did not have sufficient support on its board.

The ICC executive asked the two countries to re-nominate their candidate for the role by August 31, with Sir John touted as a likely replacement.

But Sir John did not wish to pursue the option; Stuff.co.nz quoted NZC chairman Alan Isaac, as saying on Saturday.

“In light of ICC’s rejection of the nomination of John Howard, I approached Sir John Anderson to assess his availability for the role. Unfortunately, Sir John advised me that he is not available to be considered as a possible nominee,” Isaac said.

“The NZC Board respects Sir John’s position and acknowledges the outstanding contribution he has made to game of cricket. We have recommenced discussions with Cricket Australia around a proposed a way forward,” he added.

NZC chief executive Justin Vaughan had hinted this month that Sir John might not be available.

NZC and Cricket Australia (CA) had expressed deep disappointment at the ICC decision not to support Howard.

Under ICC rules, the nominee serves as vice-president for two years before graduating to the presidency.

Howard was put forward as the joint nomination from Australia and New Zealand, ahead of respected New Zealand cricket administrator and businessman Sir John, on the recommendations of an Australian-chaired sub-committee. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |

Subscribe