Kirsty Coventry sets Women’s 100m Backstroke world record, credit falls to ZimbabweAugust 11th, 2008 - 2:37 pm ICT by Bupha Ravirot
Kristy Coventry, the first African to win a medal at the Beijing games, taking silver in the 4×100 metres womens freestyle relay. She came just 0.44 seconds behind Australia’s Katie Price, who set a new world record.
Coventry touched in 58.77 seconds Monday morning, breaking the mark of 58.97 set by American Natalie Coughlin at last month’s U.S. trials. Coughlin won her semifinal heat in 59.42.
Coventry is the leading qualifier and Coughlin second-fastest going into Tuesday morning’s final. Coughlin won the gold medal four years ago in Athens and Coventry took the silver.
She answered when asked about the feeling of one who sets a couple of World Records this year;
“I think definitely getting those World Records have given me a lot more confidence and self-confidence, but you never want to get too confident and let that kind of play on your head a little bit. So, I’m definitely very aware of what other swimmers are doing and just taking control of things I’m doing and just kind of pushing forward”
- Australian Seebohm sets record in backstroke heats - Jul 29, 2012
- Six world records takes Rome total to 35 - Aug 01, 2009
- European swimming: Seven golds decided on penultimate day - May 27, 2012
- India finish with eight medals at inaugural Youth Olympics - Aug 26, 2010
- Records tumble on first day of world swimming championships - Jul 27, 2009
- Records tumble on first day of swimming World Championships - Jul 27, 2009
- Four world records set on final day of World Swimming Championships - Aug 03, 2009
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Shooters, wrestlers bag 5 gold, 2 silver for India (Evening Lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- Rebecca Adlington seeks gold on her CWG debut - Oct 02, 2010
- Second Phelps win as records tumble, Spanish cyclist doped out - Aug 11, 2008
- Italy applauds its heroes, Phelps crushed by Biedermann - Jul 29, 2009
- Phelps books 200m fly Olympic berth - Jun 29, 2012
- Hungary top medals table at Euro swimming - May 28, 2012
- Thorpe's Olympics bid fails at Australian trials - Mar 18, 2012