Kirsten will be nothing more than a puppet in hands of Indian playersDecember 13th, 2007 - 1:58 pm ICT by admin
Melbourne, Dec 13 (ANI): Former England cricketer Tony Greig has criticised the BCCIs decision to rope in Gary Kirsten as Indias cricket coach, and said that the new-appointee would be nothing more than a puppet in the hands of senior players.
“It (Kirstens appointment) came as a bit of a surprise to me. It probably has something to do with employing someone who is likely to let the senior players have their way and definitely not someone who will impose himself on the team the way Greg Chappell did,” The Herald Sun quoted Greig, as saying.
Greig felt that the BCCI was perhaps wary of having an assertive person at the helm after having to deal with umpteenth controversies during Chappells tenure, which ended with Indias disastrous World Cup campaign earlier this year.
The former England player said he was surprised by the BCCIs reluctance to go for more experienced coaches like Tom Moody, who has been with the Sri Lankan team, and John Buchanan, who guided Australia to back-to-back World Cup titles.
He said Kirsten would have a torrid time dealing with a lot of off-field issues while being with the Indian team and felt the internal “politics” within the board was one of the reasons why Indian contenders were overlooked for the job. (ANI)
- Felt unwanted in team during Chappell's tenure, says Zaheer - Jun 14, 2011
- ESPN STAR Sports to telecast live India's WC preparatory matches against Australia, Kiwis - Feb 11, 2011
- Signing of Buchanan as director seen as a coup for Kiwi cricket - Apr 17, 2011
- John Buchanan says Australian team vulnerable - Nov 22, 2011
- South Africa can dominate world cricket: Kirsten - Mar 29, 2012
- Buchanan likely to take over NZ cricket - Apr 10, 2011
- India good enough to bounce back: Kirsten - Oct 07, 2011
- Kirsten and his merry men did India proud (Lead) - Apr 03, 2011
- Australian's wary of Fletcher's appointment as India's coach - Apr 27, 2011
- Gary Kirsten to be appointed South African coach - Jun 04, 2011
- Ex-Oz coach Buchanan set to take over Kiwi cricket - Apr 12, 2011
- Kirsten bids emotional farewell to India - Apr 05, 2011
- Pollock backs Kirsten as SA coach - Jun 07, 2011
- Handling the media will be Fletcher's biggest challenge: Vaughan - Apr 27, 2011
- Fletcher took being miserable to a new level: Veterans - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: appointee, assertive person, bcci, contenders, controversies, cricketer, england player, gary kirsten, greg chappell, herald sun, internal politics, john buchanan, puppet, reluctance, sri lankan team, tom moody, tony greig, torrid time, world cup campaign, world cup titles