Kirsten has not applied for South Africa coach job, says MajolaDecember 24th, 2010 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
Durban, Dec 24 (IANS) Cricket South Africa (CSA) chief Gerald Majola Friday dismissed reports that India coach Gary Kirsten is interested in replacing South African coach Corrie Van Zyl, who is all set to quit after the 2011 World Cup in the sub-continent.Majola said the hunt is on for a new coach, and maintained that Kirsten never approached them.
“It is just rumours that Kirsten has applied or we have had a discussion with him,” Majola was quoted as saying by Sport24.
“It is a busy time ahead for the Proteas with 2012’s Twenty20 World Cup in Sri Lanka, World Test championship, and away and home series against Australia and a tour to England. We are keen on finding the right person who can take the team to the next level. The initial appointment will be for two years.”
Earlier, Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni said it will be difficult for Kirsten to continue with them as he wants to spend time with family.
Kirsten also said that he is undecided, whether to apply for the post.
The South Africa board has appointed a panel headed by Majola and comprising Corrie Van Zyl, Andrew Hudson (selection convener), Andrew O’Connor (chairman, Cricket Committee) and Boeta Dippenaar (SA Cricketers’ Association representative) to select the next coach.
- Cricket South Africa begins search for new Proteas head coach - Dec 23, 2010
- Gary Kirsten to be appointed South African coach - Jun 04, 2011
- Kirsten keen to coach South African team - Apr 11, 2011
- Kirsten takes over as South Africa's coach - Jun 06, 2011
- Chokers tag will stay with team: Cricket South Africa chief - Mar 28, 2011
- SA assistant coach to quit after India tour: report - Jan 28, 2010
- Donald to coach Proteas bowlers because Kirsten called - Jun 08, 2011
- South African cricket in turmoil ahead of India tour - Jan 27, 2010
- Proteas coach Mickey Arthur has reportedly quit - Jan 26, 2010
- Feud derailing South Africa's World Cup hopes - Jan 24, 2011
- Cricket South Africa has approached me for coach job: Gary Kirsten - Apr 03, 2011
- South African pacer Steyn doubtful for Dutch match - Mar 02, 2011
- Pollock backs Kirsten as SA coach - Jun 07, 2011
- More trouble for Majola over unauthorised IPL payments - Mar 26, 2012
- Dhoni wants India to be disciplined in all three areas - Dec 31, 2010
Tags: andrew hudson, association representative, boeta dippenaar, corrie, cricket south africa, cricketers, dec 24, gary kirsten, indian captain, initial appointment, mahendra singh dhoni, o connor, proteas, south africa coach, south african coach, test championship, time with family, twenty20 world cup, van zyl, world test