Kim Hughes says Ric Charlesworth should review ailing Oz cricket systemJanuary 11th, 2011 - 3:31 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 11 (ANI): Former Test captain Kim Hughes wants coaching guru Ric Charlesworth to do an independent review of the Australian cricket system in the wake of a demand for revamping the system, following the Ashes humiliation at the hands of England.
Australian skipper Ricky Ponting and spin legend Shane Warne have called for a far-reaching review of Australia’s Ashes whitewash and also want a revamp of the malfunctioning state system.
“Ric is arguably the best coach in the world. He should be involved in any review. There is no one with a better blend of skills and sports knowledge,” Hughes said.
Former West Australian batsman Charlesworth is a noted sports academic who also has worked with Cricket New Zealand and Fremantle Australian Football Club, and led the Hockeyroos to the Olympic gold, The Courier Mail reports.
Former Test skipper Steve Waugh is likely to provide feedback in a pending Cricket Australia Ashes inquest but the game needs “ruthless” outside appraisal, Hughes said.
“Ric can be brutal, is an outsider but has played the game. We could get him for a few months to look at the Sheffield Shield, player payments, injury prevention, coaching,” Hughes said.
Hughes is amazed no one — coaches, selectors or administrators — took responsibility for the crushing 3-1 series loss to England. (ANI)
- Border has credentials to takeover as Oz cricket coach: Jones - Feb 12, 2011
- Steve Waugh should coach Australian team: Jones - Jan 07, 2011
- Three former Australian captains to look into Ashes debacle - Mar 10, 2011
- Ashes mess: Cricket Australia facing pivotal board meeting - Jan 31, 2011
- Ric Charlesworth, the best man to coach Aussie cricketers: Roebuck - Jan 21, 2011
- Cricket Australia 'deliberately stalling' review of Ashes loss - Feb 21, 2011
- Steve Waugh still waiting for call from Cricket Australia - Jan 16, 2011
- 'Philanthropic' Steve Waugh wants to be a 'mentor', not coach of Australian team - Jan 08, 2011
- Former Australian players blast Clarke's men - Nov 12, 2011
- Buchanan to assist England for Ashes - Aug 08, 2010
- Waugh predicts England will exit early from World Cup - Feb 17, 2011
- Former England captains blast Ponting's behaviour - Dec 28, 2010
- Oz selectors chief Hilditch's job is safe for time being - Mar 11, 2011
- Former captains Border, Taylor and Waugh to lead revival of Australian cricket - Mar 11, 2011
- Waugh blames Oz batsmen's cheap limited overs tricks for Ashes failure - Dec 28, 2010
Tags: australian cricket, australian football, batsman, captain kim, charlesworth, courier mail, cricket australia, football club, fremantle, hockeyroos, injury prevention, inquest, kim hughes, olympic gold, player payments, ponting, selectors, sheffield shield, steve waugh, whitewash