Kim Hae joins Phatlum in DLF Women’s Indian Open leadFebruary 26th, 2009 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Feb 26 (IANS) South Korea’s Kim Hae Jung brought in her second successive card of two-under 70 to surge into the joint lead with overnight leader and defending champion Pornanong Phatlum of Thailand at the DLF Women’s Indian Open 2009 played at the DLF Golf & Country Club.
The leaders stand at four-under 140 going into the third and final round. Nontaya Srisawang of Thailand brought in the day’s best card of 68, to climb to third position at two-under 142 while fellow Thai golfer Titiya Plucksataporn was placed one stroke behind at 143.
Nalini Singh performed the best among the Indians with a card of 73 placing her tied-18th at 149. Smriti Mehra meanwhile brought in her second successive 76 to slip four places to tied-29th at a tally of 152. Saaniya Sharma, tied-seventh overnight, shot an 81 to slip to tied-33rd place at 153.
Nalini, nicknamed ‘Jeev Milkha Singh of Indian Women’s Golf’ played with more control. She played her front nine to one-under with birdies on the first, sixth and ninth and bogeys on the second and fifth. On her back-nine however, the second ranked golfer on the DLF Women’s Professional Golf Tour dropped shots on the 12th and 18th.
“I converted better today,” said the 19-year old.
Among the amateurs, Gauri Monga stole the limelight with her card of even-par 72 propelling her into the lead at five-over 149. Tanya Wadhwa was placed second at 152, followed by the duo of Shweta Galande and Vani Kapoor at 158.
Gauri, a first tee starter played her outward-journey to an incident free even-par. On the second nine, she lost ground with bogeys on the tenth and 13th but made up adequately with birdies on the 15th and 17th.
“I putted far better today thought my driving still has a bit of catching up to do,”
Scores (after 36 holes): 140 Phatlum Pornanong - THA (68, 72), Hae Jung Kim - (KOR) (70,70); 142 Nontaya Srisawang (THA) (74,68); 144 Titaya Pluksataporn (THA) (71,73); 145 Nicole Montgomery(AUS) (71,74), Tandi Cuningham (RSA) (72,73), Veronoca Zoerzi (ITA) (72,73), Wen-Lin Li (TPE) (75,70); 146 Clare Choi (AUS) (76,70), Sahra Hassan (GBR) (74,72)
Amateurs: 149 Gauri Monga (IND) (77,72); 152 Tanya Wadhwa (IND) (75,77); 158 Shweta Galande (IND) (78,80), Vani Kapoor (IND) (79,79).
- Hedwall wins Women's Indian Open golf, Sharmila top Indian - Dec 11, 2011
- Best-ever showing by Gauri Monga and Indian team at Queen Sirikit golf - Mar 11, 2011
- Indians in lead at Faldo Series final golf - Mar 03, 2011
- Smriti holds slender lead over Nalini - Sep 20, 2012
- Gauri keeps Indian hopes alive in Queen Sirikit golf - Mar 10, 2011
- Pornanong takes lead at DLF Women's Indian Open - Feb 25, 2009
- Gurbani ahead after second round in Usha Southern India golf - Jun 13, 2012
- Smriti makes cut in Thailand golf - Feb 10, 2011
- Phatlum defends title at Indian Open - Feb 27, 2009
- Mehar Atwal wins Southern India Ladies golf title - Sep 22, 2011
- Korea take lead, India sixth in Queen Sirikit Cup golf - Mar 09, 2011
- 'Lucky' Lahiri wins Sail-SBI open golf - Feb 26, 2012
- Laura Davies takes the lead in Indian Open Golf - Nov 11, 2010
- Lee-Anne all geared up for Women's Indian Open golf - Nov 10, 2010
- Lahiri leads pack at SAIL-SBI Open golf - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: birdies, bogeys, defending champion, dlf golf, first tee, golf country club, indian women, indians, jeev milkha singh, jung kim, kim hae, kor, limelight, nalini singh, professional golf tour, smriti, south korea, tally, third position, wadhwa