Kidnapped Chile star to stay in Brazil for a monthJune 16th, 2012 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, June 16 (IANS) Jorge Valdivia of Chile, who was kidnapped with his wife briefly, has agreed to remain at Brazilian club Palmeiras until at least the end of the month.
Earlier this week, the Chile international midfielder said his career in Brazil was finished after he and his wife were abducted and robbed in Sao Paulo last week.
Having travelled to Santiago to recover from the incident last weekend, Valdivia returned to Sao Paulo Tuesday to negotiate his release, reported Xinhua.
But Palmeiras officials have convinced the 28-year-old to remain in Brazil until the end of the club’s Copa do Brasil campaign.
“Even though I’m still emotionally shaken, I don’t want the team to be affected by speculation about whether I will stay or go,” Valdivia said Friday.
“To the contrary, I want to help Palmeiras in the Copa do Brasil and in the Brazilian championship.”
The Sao Paulo club is a firm favourite to advance to the Copa do Brasil final later this month after winning Wednesday’s semi-final first leg against Gremio 2-0 away from home.
Palmeiras football manager Cesar Sampaio said the club would support Valdivia regardless of his decision.
“We understand this is a tough time for him and think that being with his teammates and playing will help him get his life back to normal,” Sampaio said.
- Chile playmaker Valdivia commits to Palmeiras - Jul 18, 2012
- Valdivia enjoys playing again after kidnapping - Jul 03, 2012
- Chile star mulls future with Brazil club after kidnap - Jun 13, 2012
- Palmeiras defeats Coritiba to win Copa do Brasil - Jul 12, 2012
- Sao Paulo is on a comeback trail, says Fabiano - Apr 26, 2012
- Corinthians coach ecstatic reaching Libertadores final - Jun 26, 2012
- Palmeiras sack coach Scolari - Sep 14, 2012
- Palmeiras deny talk of Scolari exit - May 22, 2012
- Former Real Madrid coach leads Gremio into top four - Jun 25, 2012
- Injured Gremio goalkeeper Grohe to miss crucial game - Apr 29, 2012
- Eight gunned down in Brazilian city - Jul 13, 2012
- Ceni upstages Pele as Brazil's greatest - Aug 29, 2012
- World Cup winning goalkeeper Marcos ends 20-year career - Jan 06, 2012
- Former Liverpool defender Aurelio joins Brazil's Gremio - May 25, 2012
- Palmeiras thrash Botafogo-SP 6-2 - Mar 12, 2012
Tags: abducted, brazil, brazilian championship, briefly, chile, club palmeiras, contrary, football manager, jorge valdivia, midfielder, rio de janeiro, santiago, sao paulo club, speculation, teammates, xinhua