Khel Ratna for Saina, Chettri gets Arjuna Award (Lead)July 30th, 2010 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 30 (IANS) Ace Indian shuttler and World no.2 Saina Nehwal will get the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, the country’s highest sports award, while Indian footballer Sunil Chettri, currently playing for American club Kansas City Wizards, is among the 15 sportspersons selected for the Arjuna Award.
The award’s committee, headed by legendary athlete P.T. Usha, met here Friday to finalise the winners of this year’s national sports awards.
Saina has been in great form and recently won three back-to-back tournaments, including two Super Series titles. The 20-year-old from Hyderabad won the Indian Open Grand Prix, the Singapore Open and the Indonesian Open.
Earlier this month, she jumped one spot to World No.2, and it came as a major boost for the star shuttler ahead of the World Championships at Paris from Aug 23.
“I am very happy and it is a surprise for me. It has come just before the World Championships. In fact, the last couple of months were great for me. I have done consistently well this year,” said Saina.
“Everything has happened quickly in my career. But it has been tough for me as well. Things will be different now as expectations will be high from me,” she said.
Saina has been made the captain of the Indian team for the World Championships.
Saina, who won the Padma Awards last year, was the first Indian girl to reach the singles quarterfinals at the Olympics in Beijing and the first Indian to win the World Junior Badminton Championships.
Footballers got an Arjuna Award after a gap of eight years. Delhi boy Chettri is the third Indian to ply his trade in a foreign football league and also scored a hat-trick in the AFC Challenge Cup final that India won to qualify for the Asia Cup after 24 years. Chettri’s team mate in the national team Dipak Mondal, who plays for Kolkata club Mohun Bagan, will also get the Arjuna Award.
This is the first time, since the inception of Arjuna Awards, that two footballers have been conferred with the prestigious award.
Former India international Mohammad Habib, a member of the award’s selection committee, feels the recognition will boost the game in the country.
“After a long time footballers got this prestigious award. In the last three years the team has done exceptionally well by winning two Nehru Cups and the AFC Challenge Cup. This will surely give confidence to the players,” Habib, an Arjuna Awardee, told IANS.
In cricket, fast bowler Jhulan Goswami, who was adjudged as the International Cricket Council (ICC) Women’s Player of the Year award in 2007, will also get the Arjuna.
Arjuna Awardees: Krishna Punia (athletics), Joseph Abraham (athletics), Dinesh Kumar (boxing), Parimarjan Negi (chess), Jhulan Goswami (cricket), Deepak Mondal (football), Sunil Chettri (football), Rajiv Tomar (wrestling), Sandeep Singh (hockey), Jasjit Kaur (hockey), Jajseer Singh (paralympics), Dinesh (kabaddi), Kapil Dev (volleyball), Rehan Poncha (swimming), Sanjeev Rajput (shooting)
- Saina to get Khel Ratna, Arjuna for Chettri and Sandeep (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2010
- President confers National Sports Awards (Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- President confers Narang with Khel Ratna, Arjuna for 19 athletes - Aug 29, 2011
- Three Air India employees to get Arjuna Awards - Aug 27, 2010
- Saina Nehwal conferred Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award - Aug 29, 2010
- Ministry announces list of sports awards - Aug 05, 2010
- No Bharat Ratna in sports, just eight Padma Shris (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Saina to get Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna - Jul 30, 2010
- Two get Khel Ratna, 25 Arjuna Award - Aug 19, 2012
- No Bharat Ratna, just six Padma Shris for sportspersons - Jan 25, 2012
- Yogeshwar, Vijay Kumar recommended for Khel Ratna - Aug 18, 2012
- 19 Arjuna Awards to be conferred this year - Aug 18, 2011
- Rafi is best Indian footballer, Odafe foreigner of the year - Sep 13, 2010
- Chettri certain to miss friendly against Bayern Munich - Dec 20, 2011
- Padma Shri a great motivation: Jhulan - Jan 25, 2012
Tags: 24 years, afc challenge cup, asia cup, football league, footballer, hat trick, indian girl, kansas city wizards, khel ratna, mondal, national sports, p t usha, rajiv gandhi, s committee, saina nehwal, series titles, sports awards, sunil, team mate, world championships