Khawaja looks like a Test cricketer: BorderJanuary 4th, 2011 - 4:24 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Jan.4 (ANI): Australia debutant Usman Khawaja ‘looks like a Test cricketer’ according to former captain Allan Border.
An impressed Border predicted that Khawaja had the potential of having a bright future in the baggy green after an assured performance on debut in the Sydney cricket Test against England. Khwaja made 37, the third highest score of the Australian innings, Fox Sports reports.
The 24-year-old arrived at the crease on his home ground surrounded by great expectation as the replacement for Ricky Ponting.
Although he was dismissed for 37 just before rain brought a premature end to day one at the Sydney Cricket Ground, Border told Fox Sports: “Khawaja looks like he’s a Test cricketer. He was absolutely fantastic; very impressive performance and absolute tragedy that he gets out one ball before the heavens open.”
He added: “Apart from that one indiscretion he was absolutely outstanding.”
Khawaja looked poised and assured from the moment he smashed six runs from his first two balls, prompting Border to re-iterate his belief that Khawaja should bat at three, with Ponting down the order.
“He’s been picked because he’s got those qualities; very steady at the crease, plays nice and straight, keeps things very simple, good head on his shoulders - all the things Ricky Ponting once had and is probably just there somewhere lurking underneath some poor form,” said Border. (ANI)
- Khawaja will challenge Ponting for no 3 slot, says Waugh - Jan 04, 2011
- Australia name unchanged side for second Test - Dec 08, 2011
- Clarke to lead Australia in fifth Ashes Test - Dec 30, 2010
- Oz selectors face hard choice to retain Ponting at No 3: Waugh - Jan 04, 2011
- Australia recall Hilfenhaus, Cowan set for Test debut against India - Dec 21, 2011
- If we lose again, will probably be looking for another job: Ponting - Dec 29, 2010
- England on top in rain-hit Sydney Test - Jan 03, 2011
- Ponting, Hussey to play against India on Boxing Day, says Arthur - Dec 13, 2011
- I'm not here to fill Ponting's shoes, says Usman Khawaja - Dec 31, 2010
- Ponting looks good to play in Melbourne, says Clarke - Dec 24, 2010
- Arthur backs Khawaja to come good in Tests - Dec 17, 2011
- Opener Hughes now a fill-in player for Australia - Jan 04, 2011
- Ponting backs Usman Khawaja to bat No.3 in Sydney Test - Dec 30, 2010
- Clarke, Ponting hit centuries to dominate India (Second Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Watson becomes second man after Ponting to win back-to-back Allan Border Medals - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: allan border, baggy green, belief that, bright future, crease, cricket test, debutant, fox sports, great expectation, highest score, impressive performance, khwaja, ponting, ricky, shoulders, sydney cricket ground, test cricketer, tragedy, two balls, usman