Khade sets national record but fails to qualify for semifinalAugust 12th, 2008 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 12 (IANS) Indian swimmer Veerdhawal Khade came up with his best performance, setting a new national record in 100-metre freestyle in the Olympics, but that was not good enough to take him to the next round of the Olympic Games swimming at the National Aquatics Centre (NAC) here Tuesday. Sixteen-year-old Khade won the heat clocking 50.07s. That bettered his personal record of 50.49s, which he timed in FINA World Youth championship at Monterrey in Mexico last month. But the Maharashtra boy’s effort went in vain as he finished 42nd among 64 qualifiers.
Sandeep Sejwal, too, failed to clear the heat in 200m breaststroke, clocking 2:15.24. He finished second in his heat behind Edvinas Dautartas of Lithuania and was placed 36th overall.
Khade beat swimmers from South Korea, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan to win the third heat of the event. Khade said he gave his best and was fired up by the gold-medal winning feat of Abhinav Bindra.
“I feel pretty good about swimming with the fastest swimmers in the world. Everyone in the contingent is pumped up after Abhinav won the country’s first individual gold medal.” he said.
- Indian swimmers win gold, not Olympic berth - Jul 06, 2011
- Indian swimmer Khade qualifies for 2012 Olympics - Jul 27, 2011
- Asian Games Swimming: Veerdhawal misses medal by a whisker in 50m freestyle - Nov 15, 2010
- National Games: Swimmer Richa Mishra finishes with 16 medals - Feb 19, 2011
- Shooters, wrestlers bag 5 gold, 2 silver for India (Evening Lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- Asian Games swimming: No medals for India on last day - Nov 18, 2010
- Gagan sole Indian representative in swimming at London - Jul 07, 2012
- CWG swimming: Khade, Sejwal qualify for semi-finals - Oct 05, 2010
- Swimmers ready to break CWG medal jinx - Sep 22, 2010
- Olympics: Lithuania bags historic gold in swimming - Jul 31, 2012
- Swimmers win best athlete awards at National Games - Feb 26, 2011
- Wrestlers, shooters shine on India's golden day (Roundup) - Oct 06, 2010
- Wrestlers, shooters make India's golden day - Oct 05, 2010
- Asian Games swimming: Khade creates history in pool after 24 years (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- 15-years-old swimmer wins gold at the London Olympics - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: aquatics centre, beijing, best performance, contingent, fina world, gold medal, kazakhstan, metre freestyle, monterrey, nac, national aquatics, olympic games, olympics, personal record, sandeep, south korea, swimmer, swimmers, uzbekistan, world youth championship