Kevin Pietersen retires from ODIs and T20sMay 31st, 2012 - 6:55 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 31 (IANS) England’s star batsman Kevin Pietersen Thursday announced his retirement from all forms of one-day international cricket.
The 31-year-old, who will continue to play tests, cited the increasing demands of international cricket on his body for his decision to quit one-dayers.
“After a great deal of thought and deliberation, I am today announcing my retirement from international one-day cricket,” said Pietersen.
“With the intensity of the international schedule and the increasing demands on my body, approaching 32, I think it is the right time to step aside and let the next generation of players come through to gain experience for the ICC World Cup in 2015,” added the South African born batsman
Pietersen has scored 4,184 runs at an average of 42 in one-day internationals and averages 38 in international T20 cricket. The decision has taken everyone by surprise as this decision comes less than four months before England are due defend of their Twenty20 World Cup crown in September.
The Englishman was man of the tournament when England won the title in the West Indies in 2010.
“I am immensely proud of my achievements in the one-day game, and still wish to be considered for selection for England in Test cricket,” Pietersen said.
“For the record, were the selection criteria not in place, I would have readily played for England in the upcoming ICC World Twenty20.”
ECB managing director Hugh Morris expressed his dismay over Pietersen’s decision.
“The ECB is disappointed by the timing of Kevin’s decision less than four months before we defend our ICC World Twenty20 title,” he said.
“Kevin is a world-class player and I would like to take this opportunity to thank him for his efforts and we look forward to his continued contributions to the Test match side.”
- Pietersen to ECB: Let me play full IPL or else... - Aug 08, 2012
- Pietersen to feature in World T20 as commentator - Aug 24, 2012
- Cook likely to be named England ODI captain - May 05, 2011
- England captain Strauss retires from professional cricket - Aug 29, 2012
- Windies cricketer Runako Morton dies in road accident - Mar 05, 2012
- Cook to lead England in ODIs, Broad Twenty20 (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- End 50-over cricket, says England spinner Swann - Dec 01, 2011
- ECB fines Kevin Pietersen for Twitter outburst - May 24, 2012
- 'I am ok with Hampshire's decision': Pietersen tweets - Aug 11, 2010
- Collingwood, Prior dropped from England squad - Jun 21, 2011
- Pietersen to give up ODIs after 2011 World Cup - Feb 12, 2011
- Pietersen's inability to handle left-arm spin, not giant ego his Achilles heel - Nov 19, 2010
- Uncapped Bairstow included in England Test squad - May 13, 2012
- Pietersen left out of England Test squad for India tour - Sep 18, 2012
- Pietersen reprimanded for ICC conduct breach - Oct 30, 2011
Tags: day game, deliberation, director hugh, dismay, ecb, englishman, icc world cup, international cricket, kevin pietersen, odis, one day internationals, selection criteria, star batsman, t20, t20s, test cricket, test match, twenty20 world cup, west indies, world cup crown